is my power supply enough for rtx 2060 and i7 6700k oc

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by Ralf,
10 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

Wall of text

is my power supply enough for rtx 2060 and i7 6700k oc, my psu is ehh, its not garbage but not high end I would consider it a mid teir unit but barley mid teir like the low end of mid teir but still not low teir i guess, evga 500 watt 80 plus white it has never caused any problems.

Wattage wise yes, it's enough. Personally I wouldn't use it for that system, let alone overclock with it. But since many people are fine with even worse units, it should work until it doesn't.

If you consider the white EVGA units mid-range, what's low-end for you? The chinese bombs?

ok, i just finished overclocking and upgrades and i'm worried my psu is just barley enough for my system, I really don't want to get a new one because I dont want to rewire my system and psus over 500 watts seem to be a lot more expensive besides the apeavias and stuff which is hot garbage, my i7 6700k is at 4.4 ghz auto voltage(because ram oc) the ram is at 2925 mhz and 1.350 volts cpu uses slighlty more than 1.4 volts at the ram and cpu oc while in cinibench, and the cpu stays at around 100 watts in cinibench it got up to like 102 or 103 but that was the max it hit, I already know my gpu can use up to 160 watts and its not overclocked but does auto overlclock out of the box like all other modern nvidia gpus, I have 16 gigs of gskill ddr4 3000 ram at 2925 mhz like I said earlier, im not running the xmp profile that brings it to 3000 mhz because i coudnt overclock cpu while xmp was enabled, I just overclocked with the asus software because getting ram stable seemed hard then I did some manual stuff on top of the asus auto tune, if i just wanted to overclock cpu I would have done everything manually and not used it but ram is hard and picky to oc. anyway I have an artic freezer 13 cpu cooler, not amazingly huge or powerful but blows any stock cooler out of the water, a dvd/cd read/write, 2 2 terabyte wd 7200 3.5 inch hard drives and a 120 gb 2.5 inch pny ssd, 6 120 mm case fans 5 of them being the ones that light up which i doubt uses any significant amount of extra watts, 3 of them are nice corsairs that get up to 1500 rpm, ones a silverstone that gets up to 900 rpm and 2 of them are cheap fans that arnt as fast and powerful, and my psu is ehh, its not garbage but not high end I would consider it a mid teir unit but barley mid teir like the low end of mid teir but still not low teir i guess, evga 500 watt 80 plus white it has never caused any problems. I have not tried maxing out the gpu and cpu at same time but prime 95 and cinibench run no problems and so far games run fine, but im worried I might have problems if my entire system is at 100 percent usage for hours at a time. the way I see it is gpu and cpu combined could use 275 watts in a freak senerio were they were both pushed to there absolute limits, then case fans, ram, hard drives and ssd and dvd/cd drive is left and the cpu cooler, not sure how many watts all those combined could use if they were all maxed out at once, I know I would still have overhead probably like 100 watts, but pushing an okish not high end psu to 400 watts maybe more seems like it may be pushing it, what do you think? In an unrealistic freak senerio were everything was pushed 100 percent at once the cpu, gpu, ram all the drives reading and writing at the same time fans all 100 percent and I was burning cvds and dvds for hours what would happen? and if the psu were to be given too much to handle would I get the type of failure that kills my pc or just restarts or shuts it down?

edit- I also have pci wifi card, Bluetooth usb dongle led keyboard and mouse and a game controller plugged in and a bluetooth 3.0 power strip plugged into my pc that also gets power from wall outlet and its own tiny psu it uses, I doubt that adds a lot still wanted to add it., And motherboard is Asus z170-k

10 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

Wall of text

is my power supply enough for rtx 2060 and i7 6700k oc, my psu is ehh, its not garbage but not high end I would consider it a mid teir unit but barley mid teir like the low end of mid teir but still not low teir i guess, evga 500 watt 80 plus white it has never caused any problems.

Wattage wise yes, it's enough. Personally I wouldn't use it for that system, let alone overclock with it. But since many people are fine with even worse units, it should work until it doesn't.

If you consider the white EVGA units mid-range, what's low-end for you? The chinese bombs?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

5 hours ago, Ralf said:

I said like low mid range like in-between low and mid cuz the really bad stuff that has pci 6 pins that light on fire when you plug in a gtx 650 are still below it lol.