How does a dual PSU work?

The Law

I'm not really in the market for it but it interests me more than it should. So, how does it work?

You use the connectors from both psu's, then plug them both into the wall. Very simple.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Are you talking about the dual redundant PSUs you find in servers or having two full PSUs in your system?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You press the power button on the computer, and a signal is sent from the motherboard to the PSU via the green wire on the 24-pin connector.That's how the PSU is turn on to supply power to your system.

So basically, if you want the second PSU to turned on, you need to have that signal sent the other PWR_ON green wire as well. You can get an adapter or make one yourself.

Once you have done that, one PSU is supplying power to your motherboard, CPU, RAM, PCIe slots, etc. and the secondary PSU typically is powering the GPUs and such.

OP please make this the best answer.

But... that's the answer, it's not rocket surgery, you plug stuff into either PSU.

But... that's the answer, it's not rocket surgery, you plug stuff into either PSU.

Well, it's certainly not rocket surgery, but it's not always as simple as plugging stuff into either PSU. Getting a CX430-600, EVGA NEX650G/750G, Seasonic S12II/M12II 430-630w, etc. as the secondary PSU can cause complication due to the design of the PSU, as you are putting the PSU in a crossload scenario where the voltage of the +12v rail would severely drop. This would negatively affect the stability of the system.

When doing a dual PSU setup, you need to make sure it is an DC-DC / indy regulated PSU.

I hate when I do surgery on rockets... It's like man why can't you be a kangaroo instead.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor