Cpu Compatibility

Hey guys, I am looking to beef up my dell optiplex 3020 MT. It came with the i5-4570, I want to install a 17-4790 into it. Could I do this? And also would the stock cooler be good enough for it?

3 minutes ago, ILIKEBEEZ said:

Hey guys, I am looking to beef up my dell optiplex 3020 MT. It came with the i5-4570, I want to install a 17-4790 into it. Could I do this? And also would the stock cooler be good enough for it?

You can but I would recommend maybe upgrading the cooler to something like a hyper 212.

Just now, Dimondminer11 said:

You can but I would recommend maybe upgrading the cooler to something like a hyper 212.

I really dont have a lot of money. Will applying some fresh thermal paste be enough to keep it cool. Is there any way i can get the stock cooler to work with it?

4 minutes ago, ILIKEBEEZ said:

I really dont have a lot of money. Will applying some fresh thermal paste be enough to keep it cool. Is there any way i can get the stock cooler to work with it?

The stock cooler will work fine but it will be screaming under full load. Fresh thermal paste will help a little bit though.

1 minute ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Although because it is a dell stock cooler you may actually be fine.

Another question, do the fans automatically speed up if the cpu gets hot? Keep in mind this pc is 6-7 years old.

Just now, ILIKEBEEZ said:

Another question, do the fans automatically speed up if the cpu gets hot? Keep in mind this pc is 6-7 years old.

Yeah they will speed up the hotter the cpu gets. It will get a bit audible at max fan speed but nothing too terrible. I'm glad we have passed the era of the optiplex gx 280 or aka the jet engine machine.

1 minute ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Yeah they will speed up the hotter the cpu gets. It will get a bit audible at max fan speed but nothing too terrible. I'm glad we have passed the era of the optiplex gx 280 or aka the jet engine machine.

I dont really care about noise i live in the basement next to my roaring furnace XD. Im pimping out this pc so hard ive already done a ton of upgrades. Thanks for your help!