Switching from Windows To Linux

I am switching from Windows to Ubuntu after triple booting (macos, ubuntu, windows) got annoying. Is there anything I should know before switching and wiping Windows other than native software support?

I mean, you have already used Ubuntu, you already know how it works. What else are you looking for?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

If you play games that use Battleye or EAC or similar kernel-level anticheat, keep Windows just for them. Also if you absolutely rely on Adobe and can't use substitutes.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

If you play games that use Battleye or EAC or similar kernel-level anticheat, keep Windows just for them. Also if you absolutely rely on Adobe and can't use substitutes.

It's good that I don't use either of them in that case.

Linux isn't windows. sounds straight forward, but for me that took a while to really understand. Everything, except the graphical part, is fundamentally different and stuff you might regard as normal are actually windows specific. Installing programs is probably the most prominent example, but there is much more subtle stuff.

I am much more productive in linux, but that only works if you use linux as it is "intended", not as a thing that replaces windows. And of course that depends on what you are doing. Software development is much more streamlined imo, but there might be use cases where that isn't the case.

17 minutes ago, kompetenzbolzen said:

Linux isn't windows. sounds straight forward, but for me that took a while to really understand. Everything, except the graphical part, is fundamentally different and stuff you might regard as normal are actually windows specific. Installing programs is probably the most prominent example, but there is much more subtle stuff.

I am much more productive in linux, but that only works if you use linux as it is "intended", not as a thing that replaces windows. And of course that depends on what you are doing. Software development is much more streamlined imo, but there might be use cases where that isn't the case.

My main reason for switching is because I develop 90% of the time on my computer compared to a year ago where I didn't even try. And for me so much of the software that I used had better compatibility with macos and linux.

On 7/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, MartinIAm said:

My main reason for switching is because I develop 90% of the time on my computer compared to a year ago where I didn't even try. And for me so much of the software that I used had better compatibility with macos and linux.

Well, as long as you don't really need any Windows-exclusive or Mac-exclusive software (Office 365, Adobe suite, Final Cut Pro, XCode, Logic Pro, etc.), and you don't play games with weird anti-cheat shenanigans, you'll be fine. Nowadays, even MS SQL and Visual Studio are available for Linux, if you happen to need those. Speaking about Office, the compatibility between LibreOffice and MS Office is pretty good, unless you work for a publishing house and for you one extra line on the page in a 100-page document will be critical for you :)

48 minutes ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Well, as long as you don't really need any Windows-exclusive or Mac-exclusive software (Office 365, Adobe suite, Final Cut Pro, XCode, Logic Pro, etc.), and you don't play games with weird anti-cheat shenanigans, you'll be fine. Nowadays, even MS SQL and Visual Studio are available for Linux, if you happen to need those. Speaking about Office, the compatibility between LibreOffice and MS Office is pretty good, unless you work for a publishing house and for you one extra line on the page in a 100-page document will be critical for you :)

Yea libreoffice is really good. I never really used office 365 or the adobe suite. It's just that I use XCode, but I can easily either just use an actual mac or put macOS inside a virtual machine.

• Pop Os: Fast and snappy more so than ubuntu in my experience. Also you have access to all of the ubuntu support forums since Pop is built from of ubuntu.
  • LibreOffice:  MS Office
  • KDen or Da Vinci - Adobe Premiere
  • Gimp - Adobe Photo Shop
  • Ink Scape - Adobe Illustrator

Man just go for it, Its Linux Some other good distros that are fun to play around with are Manjaro, Mint, Fedora. Check out distrowatch.com they list Distros in popularity.

Also if you are a fan of the Look and Feel of MacOS you should try Any one of these distros with Gnome 3 and enable the DashToDock gnome extensions and play around with the settings also if you do go the Gnome route check out gnome-look.org and download a theme. all you need to do to install a theme is extract the theme to the /home/user/.themes Folder. if there isn't a /.themes or a /.icons folder in your home folder you can create them in the file manager. download tweaks form the gnome app store and tweak enjoy tweaking the systems look to your hearts desire. its your computer have fun with it. I have been using linux for 6 years now and i find my self hopping between Manjaro and mint its hard to settle :P.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:13 PM, MartinIAm said:

I am switching from Windows to Ubuntu after triple booting (macos, ubuntu, windows) got annoying. Is there anything I should know before switching and wiping Windows other than native software support?

The format that Linux does to a hard disk, is Extended file system.  How are you going to format back.

I am using, Linuxfx 10.4, now and did not install it yet, just trying it out.   You have to have software to format

back to what windows can see, when you go to install it again.

You may think you ruined your hard disk, but you only need to re format it.  Usually Linux, does not perform as good as Windows 10, and you may miss it.   linuxfx.org   is where you can download the Linux that looks a little like Windows 10,  

1 hour ago, Ramjet said:

The format that Linux does to a hard disk, is Extended file system.  How are you going to format back.

I am using, Linuxfx 10.4, now and did not install it yet, just trying it out.   You have to have software to format

You may think you ruined your hard disk, but you only need to re format it.  Usually Linux, does not perform as good as Windows 10, and you may miss it.   linuxfx.org   is where you can download the Linux that looks a little like Windows 10,  

I have switched over to Linux now and I don't think I'm gonna switch back for a very long time. I formatted my main drive and my game drive in ext4, but left the other 2.5tb in ntfs (as changing that format will take too long). I don't exactly want Linux to look a lot like Windows 10, I kind of want to go for that macOS vibe.

19 hours ago, acjonesy said:
  • Pop Os: Fast and snappy more so than ubuntu in my experience. Also you have access to all of the ubuntu support forums since Pop is built from of ubuntu.
  • LibreOffice:  MS Office
  • KDen or Da Vinci - Adobe Premiere
  • Gimp - Adobe Photo Shop
  • Ink Scape - Adobe Illustrator

Man just go for it, Its Linux Some other good distros that are fun to play around with are Manjaro, Mint, Fedora. Check out distrowatch.com they list Distros in popularity.

I already enjoy using libreoffice, I always used davinci, gimp is close enough to photoshop, and I don't really use illustrator, so I should be good. I've actually heard of Popos, but it was in the back of my head somewhere. I am currently using Ubuntu now and I enjoy it a lot more than Windows.

19 hours ago, acjonesy said:

Also if you are a fan of the Look and Feel of MacOS you should try Any one of these distros with Gnome 3 and enable the DashToDock gnome extensions and play around with the settings also if you do go the Gnome route check out gnome-look.org and download a theme. all you need to do to install a theme is extract the theme to the /home/user/.themes Folder. if there isn't a /.themes or a /.icons folder in your home folder you can create them in the file manager. download tweaks form the gnome app store and tweak enjoy tweaking the systems look to your hearts desire. its your computer have fun with it. I have been using linux for 6 years now and i find my self hopping between Manjaro and mint its hard to settle :P.

I'm currently using Plasma by kde because I found that GNOME makes my cs:go very choppy and unplayable, but I do want to get to the macOS feel if I possibly can.

52 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

I'm currently using Plasma by kde because I found that GNOME makes my cs:go very choppy and unplayable, but I do want to get to the macOS feel if I possibly can.

It's not to hard to achieve and Plasma is very customizable. I didn't personally use a OSX theme but this one one of the things I have personally achieved. The list below may give you an idea of what to look for.

Screenshot_20200709_105620.thumb.png.089864d84fa31409af57644c4cab0119.png

DE: Plasma

Theme: Layan

Cursor: Layan

Icons: Tela Manjaro Dark

Kavantum: Layan (QT Theme Engine)

Aurorae: Layan (Window Decorations)

Dock + Panel: Latte Dock

Fonts: Fire Sans, Cutive Mono, Droid Sans

Plasma Plugins: Dynamic Wallpaper

Wallpaper: https://www.dynamicwallpaper.club/wallpaper/ma10m2ab50s Converted to Plasma Dynamic Wallpaper friendly format

Plasma Widgets: Application title, Global Menu, USwitcher, Event Calander, Weather Widget, Caffine, System Tray, Simple Menu, Folder View

Desktop Audio Visualizer: Glava

Conky: config based on lux-hud (Most of whats on the desktop itself), will probably post on github when im done with it

Terminal: Yakuake

Konsole/Terminal theme: konsole-colorscheme-sweet

Place of interest: https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/

You can also install ocs-url for one click installs throughout that site for things that support it.

52 minutes ago, MartinIAm said:

gimp is close enough to photoshop

Another one you could look at is Krita

https://docs.krita.org/en/index.html

5 hours ago, MartinIAm said:

I'm not trying to be pushy about gnome but I haven't had the best luck with Ubuntu and games. oddly enough the best experience i have had with games is Arch Linux. I don't use pure arch because i hop around way to much to take the time to  build the whole system from scratch, but when ever i switch to another distro i always find my self gravitating my way back to Manjaro gnome edition. I think its Ubuntu not Gnome. if you get board and have your /home on a different HDD  you should give Manjaro a shot. from my experience Pop OS and Manjaro have had the best hardware compatibility out of the box.

42 minutes ago, acjonesy said:

I'm not trying to be pushy about gnome but I haven't had the best luck with Ubuntu and games. oddly enough the best experience i have had with games is Arch Linux. I don't use pure arch because i hop around way to much to take the time to  build the whole system from scratch, but when ever i switch to another distro i always find my self gravitating my way back to Manjaro gnome edition. I think its Ubuntu not Gnome. if you get board and have your /home on a different HDD  you should give Manjaro a shot. from my experience Pop OS and Manjaro have had the best hardware compatibility out of the box.

I actually do like gnome but I had to switch to KDE because I read somewhere that the stuttering of cs:go was because of the gnome version and it did fix my game. For me, I have gotten cod bo 3, gta 5, rocket league, and csgo to work so far pretty well. I haven't tested too many games though.

On 7/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, Ramjet said:

The statement that Linux does not perform as well as Windows 10 depends on multiple factors e.g. hardware support, the DE/WM being used, etc. If you have perfect hardware support and the ACO compiler is enabled, then the performance will depend. Usually rolling release distros are faster than release cycle distros. In benchmarks (for stuff other than games), Linux sometimes outperforms Windows. The ext4 filesystem is better than any Windows filesystem. BTRFS is my personal favorite and ZFS can also be used in Linux with LUKS encryption and LVM. I personally don't want my Linux to look like Windows 10. My workflow is much more productive currently in Linux:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=win10-debian101-intel&num=7

unknown.png