New NVMe SSD not showing up in BIOS

Go to solution Solved by badreg,

M.2 slot has no NVMe support with an Athlon on your board.

Hello everyone,

I am giving my PC an upgrade and I bought a new SSD. It's a Kingston A2000 1tb NVMe drive. However I can't install windows on it or even see it in the BIOS. Can anyone help me?

My System Specs are as follows

• AMD 200GE
  • Asus B450M-A (On latest BIOS)
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming
  • Kingston A2000 1tb NVMe
  • Hitachi Ultrastar 1tb HDD
  • Cooler Master MWE Bronze 450W PSU

I am swapping my new SSD in place of a Segate 500gb HDD and a 60gb SATA Kingston SSD.

I have tried unplugging the Hitachi, updating the BIOS, and reseating the NVMe drive to no avail.

EDIT - I am just trying to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, I am not trying to clone over anything. The SSD won't show up in that installer, or once it was installed on the Hitachi (it is not going to be the boot drive, just testing if it would show up)

Thanks

Edited by Dark_Llama
Adding Info

8 minutes ago, Dark_Llama said:

Hello everyone,

I am giving my PC an upgrade and I bought a new SSD. It's a Kingston A2000 1tb NVMe drive. However I can't install windows on it or even see it in the BIOS. Can anyone help me?

My System Specs are as follows

• AMD 200GE
  • Asus B450M-A (On latest BIOS)
  • Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming
  • Kingston A2000 1tb NVMe
  • Hitachi Ultrastar 1tb HDD
  • Cooler Master MWE Bronze 450W PSU

I am swapping my new SSD in place of a Segate 500gb HDD and a 60gb SATA Kingston SSD.

I have tried unplugging the Hitachi, updating the BIOS, and reseating the NVMe drive to no avail.

EDIT - I am just trying to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, I am not trying to clone over anything. The SSD won't show up in that installer, or once it was installed on the Hitachi (it is not going to be the boot drive, just testing if it would show up)

Thanks

Use the F6 RAID Preinstall driver and make sure you booted in UEFI mode.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-260

Article Number
PA-260

This documentation provides information on how to resolve a boot issue that may be experienced by users attempting to install or update to Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) when an AMD Ryzen™ or AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ system is configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.

Issue Description

Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) contains new Device Input/Output Control (IOCTL) requirements for certain categories of device driver. If a user attempts a clean install of Windows 10 May 2019 Update using device drivers that do not meet the new requirements, the PC may fail to reach the Windows desktop environment. If a user attempts a Windows Update upgrade from Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) to Windows 10 May 2019 Update, the update will be blocked until updated RAID drivers are installed. 

Solution

• If the user is attempting to update from Windows 10 October 2018 Update to Windows 10 May 2019 Update, the user must install May 2019 Update-ready RAID drivers before initiating the upgrade.
  • If the user is attempting to perform a clean install of Windows 10 May 2019 Update, the user must prepare a removable storage device containing May 2019 Update-ready RAID drivers.

Required Drivers

Users will need to download and install “AMD RAID Installer (SATA, NVMe RAID)” driver 9.2.0.105 or later.

RAID Drivers on Removable Storage for Clean Installation

Users attempting to perform a clean install of Windows 10 May 2019 Update on an AMD Ryzen™ system configured with RAID will require May 2019 Update -ready RAID drivers on a removable storage device, e.g. flash drive. These users can download and extract the latest “AMD RAID Driver (SATA, NVMe RAID)” driver package onto the removable device. This minimal package conveniently contains only the files necessary to proceed with installation and subsequent boot to desktop.

5 minutes ago, badreg said:

Oh really? I have seen things that say reduced bandwidth due to less PCIe lanes, but haven't seen anything saying no support at all. Have you got a reference for this?

4 minutes ago, Dark_Llama said:

Ah bugger, but if I upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen, it will work?

Yes. Or just get a SATA drive. I can't imagine any workload for an Athlon that would benefit from the extra bandwidth.

Just now, badreg said:

Yes. Or just get a SATA drive. I can't imagine any workload for an Athlon that would benefit from the extra bandwidth.

My Athlon is a placeholder for a planned eventual upgrade to a Ryzen 7. I do lots of 3D, Video and Photo work so want the extra speed. If I upgrade to a Ryzen, will I also need to perform the steps Kisai mentioned above?

Thanks for all your help, would have never figured it out!

It should work out of the box without any BIOS updates. Just install the driver.

7 minutes ago, badreg said:

It should work out of the box without any BIOS updates. Just install the driver.

Sweet, thanks for everything! Looks like that CPU upgrade is going to come sooner than expected!