Need Program/Application Suggestions for Linux Mint

I just installed Linux Mint today on my ~4 year old laptop. I'm used to Windows 7 which is what I previously had installed and currently have on my desktop. I'm not familiar that much with Linux, this is my first time really using it. So far I really like it, there are a few things I miss that maybe you guys could help me with.

I would like:

- A desktop cpu/ram usage monitor (desklets I think they're called?)

- A good temperature monitoring program

- Recommendations on the best music player software (I use Foobar on Windows)

- Any program I could use to stream video from my desktop over wifi

- A way to have open programs appear like they do on Windows 7 on the taskbar (No text, just the lit up icon)

- Any other useful programs you guys could recommend would be appreciated as well

-Ram, Cpu monitor,  :  get conky, may be the same on mint as it is on unbutu   (sudo apt-get install conky)    you have to run in the terminal after you install
-Ram, Cpu monitor 2: get psensor,  "            "                  "                    "  (sudo apt-get install psensor)  don't have to run in terminal, would be on your status bar just hover mouse or run on startup automatically

-Temp monitor : Psensor is the best I know of
-Ram,Cpu monitor:  You can also use System Monitor, it's a built in app
-Best Music Player:  The stock Rythm box is the best in my experience
-Video streaming app :  I don't know of any may have to use wine and view via virtual desktop
-Way to open programs appear like they do on Windows 7: I have no idea what you mean.
-Any useful programs: Record my desktop, Gparted (partition manager extremely useful), Transmission Bit Torrent Client.
Any questions just ask, hope I could help m8.
Good luck
~Nick

-Ram, Cpu monitor,  :  get conky, may be the same on mint as it is on unbutu   (sudo apt-get install conky)    you have to run in the terminal after you install

-Ram, Cpu monitor 2: get psensor,  "            "                  "                    "  (sudo apt-get install psensor)  don't have to run in terminal, would be on your status bar just hover mouse or run on startup automatically

-Temp monitor : Psensor is the best I know of

-Ram,Cpu monitor:  You can also use System Monitor, it's a built in app

-Best Music Player:  The stock Rythm box is the best in my experience

-Video streaming app :  I don't know of any may have to use wine and view via virtual desktop

-Way to open programs appear like they do on Windows 7: I have no idea what you mean.

-Any useful programs: Record my desktop, Gparted (partition manager extremely useful), Transmission Bit Torrent Client.

Any questions just ask, hope I could help m8.

Good luck

~Nick

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll use psensor for temps and the built in resource monitor if I want to check cpu/ram usage. Banshee is the stock music player in Mint it seems, not Rythm Box, I'll see how I like Banshee though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll use psensor for temps and the built in resource monitor if I want to check cpu/ram usage. Banshee is the stock music player in Mint it seems, not Rythm Box, I'll see how I like Banshee though.

With conky you can monitor your resources but it's like part of the wall paper, just runs in the background

With conky you can monitor your resources but it's like part of the wall paper, just runs in the background

Yeah I tried it, it kind of bothers me that the terminal has to stay open while it runs, and I cannot move it around on the desktop.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1173

That should give you some of the steps for getting a Windows 7-like taskbar. 

For music players, see the topic in my sig. I've listed every possible option you can try (might be missing one or two). 

For streaming, depends what you plan on doing. If it's Twitch, then you can use a very simple option: https://github.com/wargio/Twitch-Streamer-Linux Takes advantage of ffmpeg iirc, which is what most desktop recording tools on Linux uses. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

- A desktop cpu/ram usage monitor (desklets I think they're called?) - I just use the task manager

- A good temperature monitoring program - http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html

- Recommendations on the best music player software (I use Foobar on Windows) - For me Clementine is the best

- Any program I could use to stream video from my desktop over wifi - Don't know about that but something like teamviewer would work?

- A way to have open programs appear like they do on Windows 7 on the taskbar (No text, just the lit up icon) - You have to right click the task bar and go into preferences, go into the elements tab, click on the window button, then click on the button that looks like a document and then unmark the first option you see.

Like this: (sorry, my laptop is in spanish)

cZb2qkT.png

- Any other useful programs you guys could recommend would be appreciated as well - I'd reccomend you Spotify just to listen to music.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

For music players, see the topic in my sig. I've listed every possible option you can try (might be missing one or two). 

For streaming, depends what you plan on doing. If it's Twitch, then you can use a very simple option: https://github.com/wargio/Twitch-Streamer-Linux Takes advantage of ffmpeg iirc, which is what most desktop recording tools on Linux uses. 

Thanks, I might try that out if I can't get used to the default taskbar. And I meant I wanted to play a video on my laptop that I have saved on my desktop locally. I'll check out some the other music players if I don't like Banshee.

- A desktop cpu/ram usage monitor (desklets I think they're called?) - I just use the task manager

- A good temperature monitoring program - http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html

- Recommendations on the best music player software (I use Foobar on Windows) - For me Clementine is the best

- Any program I could use to stream video from my desktop over wifi - Don't know about that but something like teamviewer would work?

- A way to have open programs appear like they do on Windows 7 on the taskbar (No text, just the lit up icon) - You have to right click the task bar and go into preferences, go into the elements tab, click on the window button, then click on the button that looks like a document and then unmark the first option you see.

Like this: (sorry, my laptop is in spanish)

- Any other useful programs you guys could recommend would be appreciated as well - I'd reccomend you Spotify just to listen to music.

I don't seem to have the same menu that you have for the panel, I don't seem to have any of those options.

I don't seem to have the same menu that you have for the panel, I don't seem to have any of those options.

Well it might be because i am using mint 16 xfce and you may have a different version.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I stumbled upon Plex after looking at your list, seems to be just what I wanted for streaming media, thanks  :D