Slight RAM issue

Hey all,

I got a bit of problem adding more RAM to my rig. I made sure everything compatible before doing so. However, It just starts then shutdown and auto clears my CMOS. I'm trying to add another kit of 2x8GB sticks.

My PC currently uses 16GB 3200MHz kit Corsair Vengeance and the new extra kit of 16GB is the same as well. I've done my due diligence, ran some tests, swapped each stick, checked each slot. I tried different lower frequency speeds as well, as low as 2133MHz. I should note that at 2133MHz it was pretty stable and then trying to get it past 2666MHz it can become unstable and then reverts itself to 2133MHz. Could this be a power supply problem and/or DRAM voltage problem? I'll give a break down of my PCs specs below.

My reasoning behind 32GB of RAM is because use my system for both workstation purposes along with gaming (Virtual Machines).

If anyone could kindly spread some knowledge or guidance that would be wonderful!

Thank you very much!

- Lucas

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

Mobo: MSi x470 gaming plus

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (trying to upgrade to 32GB)

GPU: RX 580 8GB

PSU: 750W

4 minutes ago, LucasJohn said:

Hey all,

I got a bit of problem adding more RAM to my rig. I made sure everything compatible before doing so. However, It just starts then shutdown and auto clears my CMOS. I'm trying to add another kit of 2x8GB sticks.

My PC currently uses 16GB 3200MHz kit Corsair Vengeance and the new extra kit of 16GB is the same as well. I've done my due diligence, ran some tests, swapped each stick, checked each slot. I tried different lower frequency speeds as well, as low as 2133MHz. I should note that at 2133MHz it was pretty stable and then trying to get it past 2666MHz it can become unstable and then reverts itself to 2133MHz. Could this be a power supply problem and/or DRAM voltage problem? I'll give a break down of my PCs specs below.

My reasoning behind 32GB of RAM is because use my system for both workstation purposes along with gaming (Virtual Machines).

If anyone could kindly spread some knowledge or guidance that would be wonderful!

Thank you very much!

- Lucas

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

Mobo: MSi x470 gaming plus

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (trying to upgrade to 32GB)

GPU: RX 580 8GB

PSU: 750W

Are both kits exactly the same timings, despite being the same make/model/speed?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Zen+ has a poor IMC and running 4 sticks isn't going to help either.

What voltages are you running at?

Are you enabling XMP/DOCP or just changing the RAM frequency manually? If changing manually, try enabling XMP/DOCP first and testing. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Is the DRAM manufacturer the same for the new 2 sticks as the old ones?

5 minutes ago, gloop said:

6 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Are both kits exactly the same timings, despite being the same make/model/speed?

Ahh yes, I forgot to mention that. There timings are both the same.

Just now, LucasJohn said:

Ahh yes, I forgot to mention that. There timings are both the same.

They could even be different DIMM die manufacturers...

Are the Corsair identifiers all the same on the product labels?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

I believe it's set to auto as per my friend recommending that. That's why I suspect they're not getting enough power.

I believe it's set to auto as per my friend recommending that. That's why I suspect they're not getting enough power.

Set the Dram voltage to 1.35v and the SOC voltage to 1.1v. 

Then try booting at 2666Mhz, 2933Mhz, etc. 

13 minutes ago, gloop said:

sounds like my theory/question from earlier is correct... they are not enabling XMP/DOCP, but rather manually changing the speed

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

sounds like my theory/question from earlier is correct... they are not enabling XMP/DOCP, but rather manually changing the speed

Apologies, I meant to reply to your previous post. I did enable XMP however, the system would start then immediately shutdown and set itself to 2133MHz. That's when I started manually changing speeds.

36 minutes ago, gloop said:

I will try this. I will report later with results.

20 hours ago, LucasJohn said:

I will try this. I will report later with results.

Some results:

I adjusted the voltage for DRAM and SOC. Adjusted speed to 2733MHz it became unstable, then provided with BSOD (kernel security check failure). I lowered the frequency 2666MHz however, it too became unstable. BSOD (reference by pointer). So far it's running at 2400MHz stable for now. I ran the Windows Memory test. Returned with no errors. I have yet to raise the voltage and test again.

23 hours ago, gloop said:

Some results:

I adjusted the voltage for DRAM and SOC. Adjusted speed to 2733MHz it became unstable, then provided with BSOD (kernel security check failure). I lowered the frequency 2666MHz however, it too became unstable. BSOD (reference by pointer). So far it's running at 2400MHz stable for now. I ran the Windows Memory test. Returned with no errors. I have yet to raise the voltage and test again.

I've played a few games too and ran some VMs already with 2400MHz set. So far it's still stable.

Some results:

I've played a few games too and ran some VMs already with 2400MHz set. So far it's still stable.

Ok, you can go to 1.4 on most RAM sticks, so try 3.75v again.