Vertical vs Horizontal GPU Mounting

Malerax
Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh case, and wanted some input on the vertical vs horizontal GPU mount debate, using Lian Li's Lancool II vertical GPU mount accessory!
With the new mesh on the side of the case, will it perform equal or better thermally than the traditional horizontal mounted GPU?

Also, has anybody heard of or experienced any issues or anything with a vertically mounted GPU.
Appreciate your thoughts and input!

Thanks!

The Side panel is TG afaik. 

Anyways. It depends on how close the card is to the side panel. Is there's some clearance it should be fine. If the card has a big shroud / is really close to the side panel then it will have worst results. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

The Side panel is TG afaik. 

Anyways. It depends on how close the card is to the side panel. Is there's some clearance it should be fine. If the card has a big shroud / is really close to the side panel then it will have worst results. 

I'm planning on getting an MSI 2080 super Trio, but I'm not sure on the sizing and all that.

Also, what do you mean by TG Afaik?

3 minutes ago, Malerax said:

I'm planning on getting an MSI 2080 super Trio, but I'm not sure on the sizing and all that.

Hello,

That's the size of the GPU 328 x 140 x 56.5 mm so it's thick (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2080-SUPER-GAMING-X-TRIO/Specification).

"TG afaik" means "Tempered Glass as far as I know", but yeah the side panel is indeed tempered glass.

Just now, Malerax said:

The Side panel is tempered glass as far as I know. 

4 minutes ago, Malerax said:

I'm planning on getting an MSI 2080 super Trio

From what I can see. It'll fit. But the it seems like it could be a little cramped. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

From what I can see. It'll fit. But the it seems like it could be a little cramped. 

It shouldn't because he needs a vertical mount, the GPU should be far enough of the panel, leading to the same thermal as if it were placed horizontally. 

Looks like you can even place 2 fans under it for maximum airflow https://www.lian-li.com/lancool-ii-1x/

1 minute ago, Meganter said:

the GPU should be far enough of the panel

Yea I knew at the back of my head that I did my calculations wrong.

My bad. 

Build Log: 

Underneath the glass side panel is mesh I meant.