Ammonia cooled loop

Hi guys so I was wondering. Since ammonia is a great refrigeration affect how would it handle I. A closed loop in a computer. Since many places such as ice-skating ri KS and such that need to get temps below 0 use ammonia as  cooling. 

lol no, not gonna happen. Not safe, not worth doing, no idea if it's even possible.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Won't work. A PC cooling loop will be missing many of the components needed for it

https://www.creativesafetysupply.com/articles/ammonia-refrigeration/

As with all refrigeration systems, there are a number of components that are needed to keep the system working properly. If any of them are missing or break down, the refrigeration system will stop working almost immediately. The required components are a compressor, condenser, expansion device, and an evaporator.

A pump, radiator and reservoir does not replace these.

Not to mention how dangerous it could be if there were any sort of leak.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Def a solid idea just make sure you fill you gpu cooler with bleach and wrestle with your buddies around the computer every now and again. Kidding I hope I don’t need to say that ammonia and bleach are not a good mix but I feel like I should

11 hours ago, Mustangmatt215 said:

Hi guys so I was wondering. Since ammonia is a great refrigeration affect how would it handle I. A closed loop in a computer. Since many places such as ice-skating ri KS and such that need to get temps below 0 use ammonia as  cooling. 

At that point you're talking about phase change cooling, which is it's own thing and has been used to cool computers to get sub zero temps. It used to be more popular in the past.

Here are some examples of phase change coolers for pc: http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/14-phase-change

On 7/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sass86oh said:

ammonia and bleach are not a good mix

That depends on what your end goal is. ☠️

On 7/10/2020 at 1:50 PM, MakubeX said:

At that point you're talking about phase change cooling, which is it's own thing and has been used to cool computers to get sub zero temps. It used to be more popular in the past.

There used to be a couple of companies making phase change systems. I had one briefly in the P4 era, and it got my P4 Northwood from 1.8 to 2.8 GHz. But the heat production was something... even knew one person who build his own system from scratch. Use a much safer refrigerant than ammonia though. They also make an interesting stepping stone if you get into competitive overclocking. It'll be somewhere better than throwing water ice into a watercooling loop, but without trying it myself, dry ice might be competitive and easier to handle in the short term.

Anyway, ammonia is pretty nasty stuff. I wouldn't want any significant concentration in a domestic environment. Made a mistake one time of ordering 30% aqueous solution and opened the bottle indoors. I nearly got whiplash when the fumes hit. Do not underestimate how evil it is. I should have ordered 10% like everyone else, but 30% must be 3x better than 10% for the same price, right?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible