Pc Audio setup recommendations

Austin243

Looking for a audio setup for my pc looking for a 5.1 or at least a 2.1 something with good bass and punch with a loud output 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, rice guru said:

What's your Budget?

Around 300ish maybe a bit more looking probably more for a 2.1 so I could fit it on my desk.

5 hours ago, Austin243 said:

Around 300ish maybe a bit more looking probably more for a 2.1 so I could fit it on my desk.

while I dont know if I can fit a subwoofer into that budget I can thingk of the iloud micro or. the jamo s803 , mica rb 42, sony sscs5 paired with a topping pa3amp which should all be within your budget reason I named these speakers is they should have enough bass to sorta make up for the lack of subwoofer. And trust me as a micca rb42s user myself at least this speaker has enough bass and is small enough to fit on a decent size desk

On 7/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, rice guru said:

while I dont know if I can fit a subwoofer into that budget I can thingk of the iloud micro or. the jamo s803 , mica rb 42, sony sscs5 paired with a topping pa3amp which should all be within your budget reason I named these speakers is they should have enough bass to sorta make up for the lack of subwoofer. And trust me as a micca rb42s user myself at least this speaker has enough bass and is small enough to fit on a decent size desk

just out of curiosity and simplicity does a powered speaker have any disadvantages to say a speaker and amp combo and have you ever used any edifier speakers I saw the the r1850 have a sub plug in the back to connect a powered subwoofer just would like to understand more about the advantages vs disadvantages I only ever hooked a sub in a vehicle 

3 hours ago, Austin243 said:

just out of curiosity and simplicity does a powered speaker have any disadvantages to say a speaker and amp combo and have you ever used any edifier speakers I saw the the r1850 have a sub plug in the back to connect a powered subwoofer just would like to understand more about the advantages vs disadvantages I only ever hooked a sub in a vehicle 

depends on the speaker on if it can be powered externally as well. a powered speaker generally can sound just as good as a passive one its just reliant on the internal amp and how good it is the advantage to a passive speaker is the ability to just easily patch it on to a system like say a 5.1 surround sound or for audiophiles who really like to control every single aspect of therisystem like what cable is used what amps are used, how much power is fed into the system and stuff like that. but generally the internal amps are good enough and are designed to drive the speakers loud enough

How much desk real estate do you have? If you've got a big desk then some passives plus a desktop amp is a good way to go. If you're a bit confined in terms of space I'd get some high quality active powered desktop speakers and probably do away with the sub. With decent quality speakers you probably won't miss it.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

23 hours ago, Austin243 said:

A powered speaker is just a passive speaker with an amplifier inside. Also has other inputs and what not but simply, it's a passive speaker with 1 channel of amplification for each channel (L/R)

An active speaker will have one amplifier for each driver, and a crossover before the amplifiers.

The one big disadvantage to powered/active speakers is that you can only really change the source gear, and nothing else. Alot of people like to mess around with amplifier/speaker combos and you can't do this with powered/active speakers.

Powered speakers do tend to be slightly cheaper than an equivalent sound quality amplifier/speaker combo. The amplifier doesn't need an entire enclosure, as the speaker provides this.

You can also match speaker drivers to the amplifiers well. With passive speakers, it's hard to get a good match with an amplifier as the speaker designer does not know how the amplifier feeding the speaker will behave. Active speakers are used most often in studios, as DSP can be used before the amplifiers to achieve an amazing FR.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)