NVME effecting GPU overclock?

Bassai Dai

Hi all.

I've recently installed an NVME drive in my computer, and it seems to have effected how much I can overclock my gpu? I'm only using MSI afterburner for my overclocking and userbenchmark.com for my results but if I try and overclock like I did before when I was using the SATA drive, the benchmark doesn't quite run all the way through and doesn't give a score.

I'm on an ASROCK b450 steel legend Mboard and the gpu is in the steel slot. (Nearest the CPU). THE NVME is in the slot marked "ultra m.2" I don't think they're on the same lanes? I do have another m.2 slot and another  pciex 16 slot. Its only getting to 75oc in the benchmark so isn't overheating.

Before the NVME upgrade my gpu was "'performing above expectations' its now performing below expectations and if I overclock I dont get a read out at all.

My rig is:

Ryzen 5 3600

GTX1050TI 

16gb ram

Before you jump up and down about the older GPU. It plays all my games at 1080p a refresh rate higher than my monitor refresh rate. So no need for an upgrade just yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm going to assume the m.2 is not a boot drive or something 

Remove it and then try 

If the problem goes away.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm going to assume the m.2 is not a boot drive or something 

Remove it and then try 

If the problem goes away.

Yeah its the boot drive. I used the Samsung solar to migrate my drive over. Its the evo 970

Yes, damn Samsung NVMe's reducing clock speeds. But seriously I would first blame the lazy OS migrate that can cause problems.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu