Yamaha MG06 for headphone monitoring on PC?

K Ganker
4 minutes ago, The Flying Sloth said:

I can tell you right now that if the mic works in your PC 3.5mm mic jack there's no reason for it to not work in the Scarlett, just make sure you're not feeding it 48V if it's unbalanced.

The 48V button was not activated. Everything in Windows settings is set correctly but no mic activity using input 1 or 2 on the Scarlett. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to try.

The audio works great and actually sounds slightly better than the XFi. I can hear more details though there is slightly less depth. I haven't been able to figure out a way to slightly increase bass on the Scarlett 2i2.

1 hour ago, K Ganker said:

The 48V button was not activated. Everything in Windows settings is set correctly but no mic activity using input 1 or 2 on the Scarlett. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to try.

The audio works great and actually sounds slightly better than the XFi. I can hear more details though there is slightly less depth. I haven't been able to figure out a way to slightly increase bass on the Scarlett 2i2.

That u have to do it on software like voicemeeter,voicemeeter banana or voicemeeter potato all free btw

If you want to add bass (EQ/DSP) then EqualizerAPO work's great for this.

You can also DSP each channel individually and do all sorts with it. It's an amazing piece of software.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 hours ago, Derkoli said:

You can also DSP each channel individually and do all sorts with it. It's an amazing piece of software.

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

A note from Focusrite

"While 3.5mm headset microphones like these can physically be plugged into the combi-XLR inputs on our interfaces, they have power requirements different to that of standard microphones that connect via XLR. These headset mics that connect via TRS 1/4" jacks are primarily intended to be plugged into the 3.5mm mic inputs on computers and thus, have very low power requirements (normally around 5-10 volts).

Standard (condenser) microphones on the other hand require 48 volts of phantom power to operate, which is what our interfaces and all other standard audio interfaces with mic inputs provide."

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, Derkoli said:

Everything is working great and headphone monitoring sounds good. However, I'm using 80 Ohm Beyerdynamics and they feel a little bit hollow even at louder settings.

How can I add more power to the headphones? What would work well with the 2i2?

12 hours ago, K Ganker said:

Everything is working great and headphone monitoring sounds good. However, I'm using 80 Ohm Beyerdynamics and they feel a little bit hollow even at louder settings.

How can I add more power to the headphones? What would work well with the 2i2?

What do you mean by hollow? Do you mean too quiet, weird sound?

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, Derkoli said:

What do you mean by hollow? Do you mean too quiet, weird sound?

The sound is clear via the 2i2 and the monitoring is excellent, but it seems that the sound is missing some "depth" and maybe "body." Is this because the 2i2 is not an actual sound card?

I was thinking it's possible it could be because it needed more power. I mean the Beyerdynamic's in question are only 80 Ohm. I'm reading that the 2i2 has a 10 ohm output impedance.

I personally like EQ to remain flat to hear sounds as intended. But it feels that I need to keep turning up the volume to hear all the details.

I want to add that I have system volume in windows at 100% and controlling the sound via the 2i2 volume knob.

My solution was to purchase something like the Schiit Magni 3 and connect it to the 2i2. Still learning what I need for connecting an amp to the Focusrite.

The sound is clear via the 2i2 and the monitoring is excellent, but it seems that the sound is missing some "depth" and maybe "body." Is this because the 2i2 is not an actual sound card?

I was thinking it's possible it could be because it needed more power. I mean the Beyerdynamic's in question are only 80 Ohm. I'm reading that the 2i2 has a 10 ohm output impedance.

I personally like EQ to remain flat to hear sounds as intended. But it feels that I need to keep turning up the volume to hear all the details.

I want to add that I have system volume in windows at 100% and controlling the sound via the 2i2 volume knob.

My solution was to purchase something like the Schiit Magni 3 and connect it to the 2i2? Still learning what I need to do.

I think you're confused about impedance.

Impedance just dictates the voltage needed. Sensitivity dictates how loud the headphone will get with a certain source.

I'm wondering if you had "Crystallization" enabled on the soundcard. It pretty much EQ's the headphones to sound more detailed.

If you didn't, then yes you may need an amplifier.

6 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I think you're confused about impedance.

Impedance just dictates the voltage needed. Sensitivity dictates how loud the headphone will get with a certain source.

I'm wondering if you had "Crystallization" enabled on the soundcard. It pretty much EQ's the headphones to sound more detailed.

If you didn't, then yes you may need an amplifier.

I specifically never used any additional gimmick features on the sound card and always had the EQ flat, simply using it for sound processing only.

My reference to impedence was simply to state that my 80 Ohm headphones should not need an amp...

Would you say connecting the Schiit Magni 3 to the 2i2 to get more sound is a good option in this case?

2 minutes ago, K Ganker said:

I specifically never used any additional gimmick features on the sound card and always had the EQ flat, simply using it for sound processing only.

My reference to impedence was simply to state that my 80 Ohm headphones should not need an amp...

Would you say connecting the Schiit Magni 3 to the 2i2 to get more sound is a good option in this case?

I would say so. If you aren't using anything on the speaker outputs of the 2i2, I would connect to them.

56 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I would say so. If you aren't using anything on the speaker outputs of the 2i2, I would connect to them.

Sounds good, thanks again.