if your working pc stops showing display what could it be?

Woxolifo

Lets say you have a system. it has been working fine. In the middle of using it all the monitors go black. The pc looks normal from the outside, as in all the rgb is still on, fans still going. No error codes or anything on the mobo debug.

Nothing you do will make the display come back. You test every part you can and all of them seem to work fine. You get a new gpu. still no display. You get a new motherboard. It works. You use the pc like normal for a few more days. 

The same thing happens, all the screens go black with no display. You retest all the parts you can. Again they all work. you are not able to fully test the mobo each time but all the other parts work with no issue in other systems. (RAM, PSU, CPU, GPU, Storage all tested and are fine) 

What part would you conclude is causing the issue in this scenario? And what would one do about this. If a part caused other parts to be damaged is the maker of said part liable? Or is it the normal RMA situation.

All the monitors?  How many, and how are they connected ?  

5 minutes ago, si1enze said:

All the monitors?  How many, and how are they connected ?  

3 using HDMI, HDMI and DP

Damn, is Anything different between the test bed and your system ?

Any converters in the situation ?

Full parts spec list ?

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Any converters in the situation ?

as in display connectors? nope.

4 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Damn, is Anything different between the test bed and your system ?

Yes they are not the same gen but I tested all my stuff at a buddies house. the old mobo was in the mail and I did not have the new one yet so no mobo got tested to see if it still output a display with other parts. 

But like I said after I bought a new motherboard the system worked. Then the same thing happened. I returned the last mobo to buy this one. I bought a new GPU too. The gpu does not seem to be the issue. 

My thinking is maybe it can be the PSU killing something. Or since its a ryzen system maybe the PBO did something.

I wish I could test my mobo using other parts but I cannot do that yet. 

5 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Full parts spec list ?

its just a 3900x with a 1080 ti, 16gb ram, corsair 2019 psu I think. Asus rog x570 mobo

Aye, sounds like you're close.. you're doing all the right things.  I'd suggest trying a different PSU at this point..

CPU temps been ok?

Do you have a multi meter ? =P

4 minutes ago, si1enze said:

CPU temps been ok?

yup CPU temps are amazing I was getting like 50c on full load.

3 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Do you have a multi meter ? =P

Umm I believe I can get my hands one, My roommate does construction and ive seen him with one before. But I have never use one before.

Ok forget that lol unless you have real steady hands.

Have you monitored the 12v voltages in systeminfo at all?

12 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Have you monitored the 12v voltages in systeminfo at all?

no I didn't. would they be on the drive? can I just put the drive on another system to look or do I need to be booted into that windows 

No, you need 12v readings from the actual system running before it goes blackout mode.

4 hours ago, si1enze said:

No, you need 12v readings from the actual system running before it goes blackout mode.

it doesn't go into blackout mode. its like that from start up. I get zero display at all. I only got display for the first few days, as soon as it went black the PC will not show a display. From the second I press the power button the screen says "No Display" This is the whole reason I had to buy a new motherboard in the first place.

The system turns on lights wise, the mouse and KB light up and work, but the screen will never display anything other then "no signal/no display"

that's why I asked if the PSU killed something, because no matter what gpu I put into the PCIE slot it will not display anything, but all the other parts work in other systems. 

Maybe I have not been clear even though I thought I was. So I will make a simple list of the issues and what I did.

1. build new pc.

2. days after the pc working fine all the monitors randomly said "no display" and went black. It let me reboot and it worked fine for like 2 more hours. 

3. after the 2 hours the it showed "no display" and went black. After a reboot it says "no display" and never worked again.

4. I test the gpu and it works. I return the mobo and buy a new one.

5. I buy a new motherboard using all the same other parts I build the pc. the PC boots and works. It shows a display. - This confirms all my parts work -GPU, CPU, RAM drives.

6. After a few days the monitors say "no display" and go black again. When I reboot it stays black and says "no display"

7. I tried to reboot the PC again, the TV I had it plugged into via HDIM shows the ASUS logo but the screen had a green tint and lines. It looked like a dying gpu/ bad hdmi connection but the GPU was tested in another system and works 100% fine. the cable for the TV was tested and its 100% fine. The PC was connected to 2 other monitors at the time and they shows a black screen.

8. Now its been over 1 week and the PC will display nothing at all

*Note when it went black I was only using chrome so no intensive program was running, Temps where in the 40-45c range at time of crash*

So based on that what would you conclude is the issue? A faulty PSU that is killing something on the mobo? did the Ryzen PBO somehow do this by boosting voltage or something? but that would harm the CPU not the PCIE right? I just need to try to pin point the issue. 

If I end up just buying a new mobo again and that one dies I will just keep wasting money / time via RMA. There has to be something that is causing something to break and I need help figuring it out. Or am I on the right track? 

Precision Boost Overdrive wouldn't kill the CPU.  The only thing you haven't tried replacing is the power supply, yes?  I would try again from there if so.

I know you can't test it, but my point about monitoring the 12v on your PSU is if that is too low it can cause odd stuff to happen.. and it's not good for anything.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:37 PM, si1enze said:

Precision Boost Overdrive wouldn't kill the CPU.  The only thing you haven't tried replacing is the power supply, yes?  I would try again from there if so.

Yes the PSU would be the only thing. DO you think my current mobo is broken or just the PSU is being weird. 

im not going to lie its been like 1-2 weeks since i messed with the PC since It has been bugging me. Ive just been using my 6 year old rig for the time being.

Ill RMA my PSU (hopefully they will pay shipping. its corsair and they just made me pay $30 to ship a keyboard RMA) and should I RMA my mobo too or keep that and see if the PSU is the issue? 

I would stick to process of elimination and do the PSU first myself.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:37 PM, si1enze said:

I would stick to process of elimination and do the PSU first myself.

if I get a new PSU from corsair even if its the same exact model do you think it will be okay? or is just PSU in general just bad 

I would suggest getting at least a 650-700W PSU, but yeah it can be the same brand.

4 hours ago, si1enze said:

I would suggest getting at least a 650-700W PSU, but yeah it can be the same brand.

This is what I had https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-rm-series-750w-atx12v-2-52-eps12v-2-92-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-black/6356248.p?skuId=6356248&intl=nosplash 

they will only replace it so id get the same one back