X570 build advice

symtryx

Budget (including currency): 500-700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: only gaming. 1080p AAA gaming

I had a build plan using a b450 motherboard with a ryzen 2600 or 3600 and a 1650 super but I came across a great deal for a MSI 570x gaming edge and Im wondering if I should change anything about my build with this motherboard. Other than that, I've been set on using a 1650 super but I cant decide what CPU to go with

the msi x570 gaming edge is the poorest x570 board in terms of VRM thermals and potential current output, I would not recommend it.

What is the reason beyond going for the x570 in the first place? you can get a decent b450 board for $80 that would work well with a 2600 or a 3600. why spend an extra $80 on the motherboard.

an alternative would be to look at the newly released b550 boards. they support pcie 4 as well and are cheaper than x570.

If you're only gaming, you won't notice a difference between generic SATA SSDs and high-end NVME SSDs so why do you need PCIe 4? That's really the only reason why anyone should buy X570. B450 would be the smarter choice for you.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Go for a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX or MSI B450 Mortar MAX. Also see my post above.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Go for a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX or MSI B450 Mortar MAX. Also see my post above.

I had planned on getting a tomahawk but I came across a new x570 gaming edge and thought it would be the better choice. Unfortunately i already bought the board and have just learned how useless it is for my build

8 hours ago, boggy77 said:

the msi x570 gaming edge is the poorest x570 board in terms of VRM thermals and potential current output, I would not recommend it.

What is the reason beyond going for the x570 in the first place? you can get a decent b450 board for $80 that would work well with a 2600 or a 3600. why spend an extra $80 on the motherboard.

an alternative would be to look at the newly released b550 boards. they support pcie 4 as well and are cheaper than x570.

I had learned about the thermals after purchasing the board. I realize now it is unnecessary in my build but I still plan to use it. I dont think it will cause any problems with the build ive chosen. I will definitely switch to a b550 when i choose to upgrade

3 minutes ago, symtryx said:

I had planned on getting a tomahawk but I came across a new x570 gaming edge and thought it would be the better choice. Unfortunately i already bought the board and have just learned how useless it is for my build

Dont feel bad, just enjoy the board now that you have it.

Even its below par vrm will pose 0 issues for 2600 or 3600(x), even 3700 it will do fine, assuming youll have some airflow.

Youll have plenty of io available, whenever the need arises.

If you got a good deal on it (close to b450 or x470 pricing) you lost nothing since the vrm is on par with b450 boards like the tomahawk, so its not like you lose out on something (except perhaps dollars if the price wasnt right).

Should you have planned a ryzen 9, then yeah, it would be a bit of a bummer,  but below that, youll be okay.

3 hours ago, symtryx said:

I had learned about the thermals after purchasing the board. I realize now it is unnecessary in my build but I still plan to use it. I dont think it will cause any problems with the build ive chosen. I will definitely switch to a b550 when i choose to upgrade

It will work fine with a 3600. I don't think you need to change it unless planning to upgrade to a 12 or 16 core cpu. It should work fine with a 6 or 8 core.