Mixed RAM - issues?

Hi all,

I have a new PC with 8G RAM (2x4G) - Corsair Vengeance Blue http://products.ncix.com/detail/corsair-vengeance-blue-cmz8gx3m2x1600c8b-8gb-21-66910.htm

I would like to add in another 8G of RAM that I salvaged from my previous PC which is 2x4G Kingston http://products.ncix.com/detail/kingston-kvr13n9s8k2-8-8gb-2x4gb-kits-4a-88587.htm

Please note the Corsair RAM has slightly different specs [CL8-9-8-24] than it seems a lot of RAM has. Will that be an issue with compatibility?

Also, will my older (somewhat "budget" RAM) have a negative impact on my new RAM in anyway by slowing it down or create any other issues?

Thanks guys, I am learning so much in this forum!

Hi all,

I have a new PC with 8G RAM (2x4G) - Corsair Vengeance Blue http://products.ncix.com/detail/corsair-vengeance-blue-cmz8gx3m2x1600c8b-8gb-21-66910.htm

I would like to add in another 8G of RAM that I salvaged from my previous PC which is 2x4G Kingston http://products.ncix.com/detail/kingston-kvr13n9s8k2-8-8gb-2x4gb-kits-4a-88587.htm

Please note the Corsair RAM has slightly different specs [CL8-9-8-24] than it seems a lot of RAM has. Will that be an issue with compatibility?

Also, will my older (somewhat "budget" RAM) have a negative impact on my new RAM in anyway by slowing it down or create any other issues?

They should work together, all your ram will just be slowed down to the lowest speed possible. There is a possibility that they will not work together at all, and thats a timing issue. There shouldn't be any harm in trying to use them together (the worst youll get is just ram beeps that its not working)

Using two diffent kits of ram is sketchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

You can just try it and find out i guess. 

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

I'm using two different sticks and don't have any issues. 

sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. rare when they dont work though

Yeah, having the same brand is better than having two different ones.

and getting the same brand all in the same package is the best :D

Hi all,

these are like the guides for ram, if you didn't know already.

So basically, if I had a stick of fast new RAM and a stick of slower older RAM, that would cause my PC to really only use any of the RAM at the speed of the slower RAM? Like the saying goes about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link?

So basically, if I had a stick of fast new RAM and a stick of slower older RAM, that would cause my PC to really only use any of the RAM at the speed of the slower RAM? Like the saying goes about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link?

Yeah, but RAM speeds barely make any difference. The real performance comes from the RAM timings. (In my understanding.)

The faster stick will run at the same speeds and timings as the RAM with the lower speeds and timings. I have an 800MHz and a 666MHz stick in my laptop (Both 2GB) and they both run 666MHz. I was able to lower the timings though.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Yeah, but RAM speeds barely make any difference. The real performance comes from the RAM timings. (In my understanding.)

The faster stick will run at the same speeds and timings as the RAM with the lower speeds and timings. I have an 800MHz and a 666MHz stick in my laptop (Both 2GB) and they both run 666MHz. I was able to lower the timings though.

Ah, okay thanks :)

I will just leave the extra RAM out for now as I don't really need more than 8G for gaming and the basic internet usage I do. I just thought I'd add more in so it didn't go to waste when I ditched my old PC.

Ah, okay thanks :)

I will just leave the extra RAM out for now as I don't really need more than 8G for gaming and the basic internet usage I do. I just thought I'd add more in so it didn't go to waste when I ditched my old PC.

I say its still definitely worth trying them all together.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245