Gpu stuck in PCIE slot with weird clip holding it

RainyVibez
Go to solution Solved by RainyVibez,

Eventually after trial and error I got it out, replaced the gpu, and then realised the psu didn't have an 8 pin pcie connector. I thought ah, maybe there is still hope because there was a spare power supply upstairs but after I installed that I realised no, it's dead too.

Now I want to be like the power supply.

I am trying to replace a gpu however the clip holding it in place is stuck. This is the first time I've seen this and I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do.

20200627_124608.jpg

20200627_121751.jpg

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

flat head screwdriver and push it down.

Looks more like the type you have to pull backwards away from the slot to me, was generally how the early locking mechanisms worked.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Looks more like the type you have to pull backwards away from the slot to me, was generally how the early locking mechanisms worked.

Even that doesn't seem to be working, I have to add a scary amount of force to it even to the clip that doesn't even have a gpu installed, getting the clip open with the gpu in it is going to be a whole different adventure in the meanwhile

5 minutes ago, RainyVibez said:

Even that doesn't seem to be working, I have to add a scary amount of force to it even to the clip that doesn't even have a gpu installed, getting the clip open with the gpu in it is going to be a whole different adventure in the meanwhile

Try pushing the GPU down a little into the slot while pulling on the lock.  Those early locks can get stuck on the lug on the bottom of the card and yes they often need a stupid amount of force.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Try pushing the GPU down a little into the slot while pulling on the lock.  Those early locks can get stuck on the lug on the bottom of the card and yes they often need a stupid amount of force.

I tried that, absolutely nothing. I have no idea what to do with this now 

Eventually after trial and error I got it out, replaced the gpu, and then realised the psu didn't have an 8 pin pcie connector. I thought ah, maybe there is still hope because there was a spare power supply upstairs but after I installed that I realised no, it's dead too.

Now I want to be like the power supply.

If you have a 6 pin you could use an adapter to go from 6 to 8 pin, that should generally work fine. :) Or get a double molex to 8 pin. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7