Cable Management

Speedox12

So... Do any of you glorious geniuses know how I can cable manage this thicc monstrosity.

help.jpg

Some context. I've never worked with a PSU before, nor have I ever installed a second GPU. I decided it was a good idea to do both at once. In order to put the GPU in, I had to take out the f_audio connector on the motherboard. So no front panel audio for me, and I get a warning screen for that every time I boot. And, the new PSU I'm using to power it has the thickest freaking cables in the universe, and I don't know how to stuff them all in there without breaking something.

Not in that case.  

Is that like a Dell or something?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Not in that case.  

Is that like a Dell or something?

Essentially. It is an Alienware Aurora R7.

20 minutes ago, Speedox12 said:

Essentially. It is an Alienware Aurora R7.

Yeah. Not a case made for cable management.

We tend to buy cases that lend themselves to proper cable management if we want proper cable management.

Dell doesn't give a fsck about your cable management.  :D

41 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah. Not a case made for cable management.

We tend to buy cases that lend themselves to proper cable management if we want proper cable management.

Dell doesn't give a fsck about your cable management.  :D

Clearly they don't give a crap about GPU upgrades too. I had to pull out the f_audio motherboard cable just to slot it in.

1 hour ago, Speedox12 said:

Some context. I've never worked with a PSU before, nor have I ever installed a second GPU. I decided it was a good idea to do both at once. In order to put the GPU in, I had to take out the f_audio connector on the motherboard. So no front panel audio for me, and I get a warning screen for that every time I boot. And, the new PSU I'm using to power it has the thickest freaking cables in the universe, and I don't know how to stuff them all in there without breaking something.

What I've done in the past is hook everything up to what it's supposed to be hooked up to and see where your cables will be routed and how much slack of each one you will have left over after connecting them to their destination. Disconnect each one, one at a time, and bunch up the excess cable, if there is any, with zip ties or velcro strips. Zip ties are cheap and do the trick but velcro strips are more flexible and easier to move if you need too.  If you go the zip tie route, then don't cinch them down super tight so you can slide them back and forth if you need to until you have them where you want/need them. Take it one cable at a time and you'll be surprised on how much room there actually is. It's overwhelming to think of what you are gonna do with ALL those cables at once, but if you break it down in steps, it's not as intimidating 

4 minutes ago, Speedox12 said:

Clearly they don't give a crap about GPU upgrades too. I had to pull out the f_audio motherboard cable just to slot it in.

No.  You're right.

Dell, Alienware, HP and Lenovo follow the rule of planned obsolescence established by GM years ago.