Cooling Gigabyte 2080S with Kraken G12 and TT Water 3 120mm AIO

A week has passed since i got my Kraken G12 and my ThermalTake Water 3 120mm AIO, which i installed it on my Gigabyte 2080 Super

My GPU temps dropped to 28 deg celsius on idle and 60 deg on load (playing Division 2 1440p ultra settings)

Compared to stock cooling (where i would hit 80 degrees during load), this was great!!! One thing to note is that I have not overclocked the card whatsoever, everything is at stock.

However, I noticed that the card itself was very (very very) hot. I realized that the VRAM modules, which are around the gpu, are not cooled at all.

Yes there is active cooling from the fan that comes with the Kraken G12, but it only blows cool air to the VRMs, chokes, and other tiny components on the far right of the card (the side where the 8pin and 6pin power connectors are).

Although I haven't noticed any issues with the memory clock, gpu core clock or other performance for that matter, it felt very unsafe to have them that hot!

I can't tell how hot the card was but touching the backplate was impossible...!!

I just wanted to share this experience for those who want jerry rig their 2080 (particularly the 2080 Super from Gigabyte) with the Kraken G12 and AIO.

I haven't tested it, but I'm sure having those tiny heatsinks on the vram modules, and maybe on the VRMs, would help.

Also, maybe, because this gpu produces so much heat, a 240 or 280mm aio would be better!

I eventually went back to the stock cooling, put on some new NT-H2 thermal paste by Noctua, left the case open, and dealt with the noise (although I wear a headset while playing lol).

If anyone have any questions regarding this build, I'll be glad to answer!

I'm looking forward to the Raijintek Morpheus 8057 🤠

Cheers guys

rtx2080_with_aio.jpg

Ouch! No cooling whatsoever on the memory will definetly throw up problems. If not immediately i don't think the GDDR will hold up in the long run. However i did have a good experience with the Raijintek Morpheus II on my 1080Ti. I can run a pair of noctua NF-A12x15 at around 800 RPM under full load, still get to max 80°C while gaming, but absolutely silent. Of course you could raise the RPM and get excellent temps if you are willing to sacrafice noise.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Ouch! No cooling whatsoever on the memory will definetly throw up problems. If not immediately i don't think the GDDR will hold up in the long run. However i did have a good experience with the Raijintek Morpheus II on my 1080Ti. I can run a pair of noctua NF-A12x15 at around 800 RPM under full load, still get to max 80°C while gaming, but absolutely silent. Of course you could raise the RPM and get excellent temps if you are willing to sacrafice noise.

Thanks for the input on the Morpheus cooler, I haven't done any research on it yet but it the Morpheus II and 8057 look exactly the same, so I'd expect same cooling...