Logon GUI chewing 80%+ of CPU

My computer keeps freezing regularly after being on after a few hours.

It's a brand new built PC with a 9700K overclocked to 4.7Ghz.

When it starts to freeze up i open task manager to see that a process named "Windows Logon GUI Application" uses 80% and sometimes more of the CPU performance.

Ill attach a photo of it. Can anyone explain what's happening and how to fix it? No idea why this would begin chewing away so much for no reason during pc use.

thumbnail_20200623_160201.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who may come across this in the future, i never properly solved it.

This being said, after reinstalling my OS due to microsoft issues, the LOGON GUI issue has since been resolved.

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 3:03 PM, D0N0 said:

For anyone who may come across this in the future, i never properly solved it.

This being said, after reinstalling my OS due to microsoft issues, the LOGON GUI issue has since been resolved.

This is a crypto miner trojan that disguises itself under that name. It can be removed using any anti-malware software. 

• 3 months later...

This may be late but yah its a crypto miner located in C:\windows\system32\microsoft\windows\winnet\winlogui

The exe files associated with it are WINRMSRV.EXE and WINLOGUI.EXE, both being located directly in your sys32 file.

Its best to use a Malware program but you can do it manually if you need to.

• 9 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 1:31 AM, JonnyDarcko said:

This may be late but yah its a crypto miner located in C:\windows\system32\microsoft\windows\winnet\winlogui

The exe files associated with it are WINRMSRV.EXE and WINLOGUI.EXE, both being located directly in your sys32 file.

Its best to use a Malware program but you can do it manually if you need to.

Yooo!!! thank you so much for this! every time I would go check task manager for what was ramping up my CPU, i would see that windows GUI tapping my CPU hard but would stop as soon as I opened task manager almost like it was trying to hide what it was doing. I suspected that it was either Windows being Windows - or somebody was using my CPU... It happened again today and after reading this post I was able to locate and delete those two files. Lets see if it comes back lol thanks bro!