UPS Crazy Spikes on Gaming. is my PSU dying?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
3 hours ago, THEPRO | xTreme-CM.ORG said:

Yeah but the stange thing is this is a 800W PSU.. it cant be the wattage. maybe is broken or someting.

Yeah.. but it's a 10+ year old PSU.  These things don't last forever.  They might "put out power", but it's not like they were putting out the same kind of power they did TEN YEARS AGO!!!

Also, topologies change.  The GS was an older double forward platform.  You should never use a double forward with a 2080 Ti.

You have a Core i7 6700 and an RTX 2080 Ti and YOU'RE USING IT WITH A TEN YEAR OLD PSU!!!!

Hi, I am having a problem that sometimes I enter a heavy game my PC freezes. Here is the memory Dump.

spacer.png

So I searched the problem and I did find that errors is because of NVIDIA drivers but it seems they crash because GPU don't respond in time because I tink of the power strikes. My oldest component on my PC is the PSU.

I have a CORSAIR GS800

PSU SPECS:

f9ac39b2b5279c8bf3084f136ce075e8.png

Also my pc specs:

i7 6700, 32gb of ram, 4 SSD (2nvme,2sata), RTX 2080 Ti

And here is the video of the power strikes. Only happens then i open a game.

What do i do? Buy a new PSU? 

Maybe is not the PSU?

Do you guys know how to fix or any solution?

I had similair problem. Switched PSU from 450W to 600W and now everything works great.

2 hours ago, keik said:

I had similair problem. Switched PSU from 450W to 600W and now everything works great.

Yeah but the stange thing is this is a 800W PSU.. it cant be the wattage. maybe is broken or someting.

3 hours ago, THEPRO | xTreme-CM.ORG said:

Yeah.. but it's a 10+ year old PSU.  These things don't last forever.  They might "put out power", but it's not like they were putting out the same kind of power they did TEN YEARS AGO!!!

Also, topologies change.  The GS was an older double forward platform.  You should never use a double forward with a 2080 Ti.

You have a Core i7 6700 and an RTX 2080 Ti and YOU'RE USING IT WITH A TEN YEAR OLD PSU!!!!

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.. but it's a 10+ year old PSU.  These things don't last forever.  They might "put out power", but it's not like they did TEN YEARS AGO!!!

Well thats true. this is a 10 years old PSU that my father bought for me. 

I will buy a new one and put this one to rest. RIP April.2010-June.2020

The MTBF is 11 years. but now i know corsair PSU are good. 

1 hour ago, THEPRO | xTreme-CM.ORG said:

Well thats true. this is a 10 years old PSU that my father bought for me. 

I will buy a new one and put this one to rest. RIP April.2010-June.2020

The MTBF is 11 years. but now i know corsair PSU are good. 

MTBF doesn't mean every unit will last 100,000 hours.  

"MTBF represents the statistical approximation of how long a number of units should operate before a failure can be expected. It is expressed in hours and does not represent how long the unit will last. There are many ways of calculating MTBF."

https://www.controleng.com/articles/learn-or-review-the-difference-between-mtbf-and-lifetime/#:~:text=MTBF represents the statistical approximation,many ways of calculating MTBF.

No PSU should be kept in service that long.  10 years max.  Cheaper units like that one, I would say five years.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

MTBF doesn't mean every unit will last 100,000 hours.  

"MTBF represents the statistical approximation of how long a number of units should operate before a failure can be expected. It is expressed in hours and does not represent how long the unit will last. There are many ways of calculating MTBF."

https://www.controleng.com/articles/learn-or-review-the-difference-between-mtbf-and-lifetime/#:~:text=MTBF represents the statistical approximation,many ways of calculating MTBF.

No PSU should be kept in service that long.  10 years max.  Cheaper units like that one, I would say five years.

It was 130 Euros at that time. not really cheap.

26 minutes ago, THEPRO | xTreme-CM.ORG said:

It was 130 Euros at that time. not really cheap.

At the time, the other options from Corsair were TX, HX and AX which were all more expensive, but significantly better PSUs than the GS.

Perspective.

Was it better than a lot of the other garbage on the market at the time?  Sure.  But you'd be lucky to get 3 to 5 years out of anything cheaper and something cheaper would likely explode and kill all of your hardware.

4 hours ago, THEPRO | xTreme-CM.ORG said:

PSU wattage is very misleading, same as 80plus certification or MHz in RAM speed (you can dig about those).
My current setup is roughly 300-346W and general rule of thumb is to have 40-50% more W then what you calculate. Your rig is around 485-535W so 800W power supply is bare minimum in my opinion (and you did not tell about mother board, cooling, additional fans, LED and peripherals, which all, do drain power trough your PSU).
And as jonny already said, your PSU was old, which slipped my attention completly.

But good thing is the problem looks pretty much solved :)

12 hours ago, keik said:

PSU wattage is very misleading, same as 80plus certification or MHz in RAM speed (you can dig about those).
My current setup is roughly 300-346W and general rule of thumb is to have 40-50% more W then what you calculate. Your rig is around 485-535W so 800W power supply is bare minimum in my opinion (and you did not tell about mother board, cooling, additional fans, LED and peripherals, which all, do drain power trough your PSU).
And as jonny already said, your PSU was old, which slipped my attention completly.

But good thing is the problem looks pretty much solved :)

10 years ago i did have an i3 and AMD Radeon HD6700 and my powersupply was overkill for that build but i did buy it to use for my upgrades from time to time. 

i3 to i7

RADEON 6700- GTX960 - GTX1070 - RTX 2080 Ti.

So i will buy a 1000W+ PSU from EVGA or SEASONIC for another 10 years. 😎