Disabling Enigmail Subject Line Encryption

Go to solution Solved by flopana,

How can I encrypt the Subject?

Since Enigmail 2.0 the subject of the message can be encrypted (but no other header) together with the rest of the message. If the subject is encrypted, then the visible subject is replaced with a dummy text like "Encrypted Message". The default for this can be changed in Enigmail → Preferences → Advanced.

You can also enable/disable encryption of the subject for individual messages. For this you first need to customize the toolbar icons: right click on any icon and click on Customize... . Then drag the icon labelled Protect Subject into the toolbar.

Hope this will help :)

https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/user-manual/handbook-faq#How_can_I_encrypt_the_Subject.3F

Hi all,

I primarily use Thunderbird as my desktop email client. I have configured Enigmail to handle my encrypted emails, but it has a default feature that isn't available to other users of PGP: it encrypts the subject line.

While I would normally be elated by this, no other program is able to do that. Thus, my subject lines sent from Thunderbird always read "..." in any other email client.

Does anyone know how to disable subject line encryption on Enigmail? Once other programs start doing this, I'll turn it back on immediately. But for now, I gotta turn this off.

Thanks!

How can I encrypt the Subject?

Since Enigmail 2.0 the subject of the message can be encrypted (but no other header) together with the rest of the message. If the subject is encrypted, then the visible subject is replaced with a dummy text like "Encrypted Message". The default for this can be changed in Enigmail → Preferences → Advanced.

You can also enable/disable encryption of the subject for individual messages. For this you first need to customize the toolbar icons: right click on any icon and click on Customize... . Then drag the icon labelled Protect Subject into the toolbar.

Hope this will help :)

https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/user-manual/handbook-faq#How_can_I_encrypt_the_Subject.3F

8 minutes ago, chathamserver said:

Brilliant! That's exactly what I needed. Thank you!

You're welcome ^^