Router Recommendation?

CaptainDuckTape

Hello Linus Tech Forum! 

Im looking for an internet Router recommendation as stated in the title, i have a fairly fast connection from my ISP considering where i live ( 30 mbs) and in my house we have about 12-18 devices connected constantly, im wondering if it is a rounter upgrade i need at this point to manage everything connected to my rounter or is it simply not fast enough raw internet, if a router upgrade you guys think would be worth it then id love to hear some recommendations! (150$ give or take) , At the moment im not sure what the specs are on my current router but its the stock crap they gave me from my ISP... 

Anyways Thanks looking forward to hearing replies !

A new router could definantly improve your performance, especially if you have an old 2.4ghz router at home a new one would help in mbs but more specifically in the ping. Ping is what most people feel when searching the web, and a new router can definitely help. Here is what i consider and most consider the best router PERIOD regardless of cost: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CLmCp92U67wCFYtDMgodmmgA5w&Item=N82E16833320091&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Wireless+Routers-_-N82E16833320091&ef_id=Un7uEQAAAUEfAGUv:20140227013234:s 

I suggest the ASUS RT-N66U. I have the 68U (out of your price range) and it's pretty baller. 

The GUI is easy to use (though it can be finicky at times), and it has some nice features (lists clients with MACs and device names, automatically opens a browser for first time configuration).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I also recommend the Asus RT-N66U. I have one and it's great.

The one provided by my ISP sucks as well. Since it's a router/modem combo, I had to contact them to change it into "bridged mode" (ie. just a pass-through) so I could use my own router.

The asus RT-N66U is a good all around router/AP but the TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 can be had for half the price but offers the majority of the functionality.  All tough the Asus model does offer better wireless range this can be offset by using a range extender with the TP-LiNK like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704187 or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704124

Combining a range extender with a wireless router will get you even better range than any single solution.  The benefit is that you can buy the router and test it out.  If it doesn't reach every where you need it to then get the extender.

Just some options.

If you really want a good setup and you have an extra computer lying around think about turning it in to a router by using PFsense or IPfire as the operating system.

1 Timothy 1:15

Honestly?  get an old pentium 3 computer or something, install a couple intel gigabit pci nics in it along with a good wifi n card, and set up pfsense on it.

I have run a k6-2 router before, and have been slowly collecting parts to build a flex atx (almost as small as mini itx, old standard) p3 733 system specifically for this. tiny power supply and everything.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

I suggest the ASUS RT-N66U. I have the 68U (out of your price range) and it's pretty baller. 

The GUI is easy to use (though it can be finicky at times), and it has some nice features (lists clients with MACs and device names, automatically opens a browser for first time configuration).

Not to mention USB 3.0 port for a NAS and print server.

The asus RT-N66U is a good all around router/AP but the TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 can be had for half the price but offers the majority of the functionality.  All tough the Asus model does offer better wireless range this can be offset by using a range extender with the TP-LiNK like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704187 or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704124

Combining a range extender with a wireless router will get you even better range than any single solution.  The benefit is that you can buy the router and test it out.  If it doesn't reach every where you need it to then get the extender.

Just some options.

If you really want a good setup and you have an extra computer lying around think about turning it in to a router by using PFsense or IPfire as the operating system.

+1. I tried this method and nothing compares to having your own computer being used as a router. I ended up ultimately just going with the Asus router because the number of options and customizability to using something like PfSense is overwhelming for a network newbie like me.