My PC problem

Tha_G

Hi im new to this forum. This is gonna be a long one as i would like to explain everything in chronological order regarding my pc problem.

1. About a month ago i had severel issues with my pc most notably my pc constantly will undetect my peripherals and detect back, and also whenever i play games everything will be on slow mo. After some research i decided that my CMOS battery has died so i changed it (NOTE: The last i changed my CMOS battery was a year before). After i changed it everything went to normal, what a relief. 

2. Just a week after that I decided to clean my pc and reapply thermal paste on the CPU. And yes successfully cleaned pc. Everything was fine but few days after that I faced a problem. My pc will not boot when i press the power button. But i’ll hear a click sound in my PSU and thats it, the case fans will not light up or spin. But after 1 hour or so, I’ll be able to boot up the PC without any issue and I could use the PC without any issues.

3. The next day i plugged out my power supply to rearrange my pc. The same issue happened again i cannot boot up my pc. But after a while i could boot up my pc. At this point i suspect my power supply is failing so i will not switch off my PSU at all even after shutting down my pc and it was working fine until yesterday my pc froze suddenly (this is the first time).

4. I force shutdown by holding the power button and tried on again, it booted normally and i could use the pc normally for about 10 minutes and it froze again. I force shut down again and tried to start again and this time the pc didnt boot up at all like last time. I’ll hear a click in the PSU and thats it, no fans will on or spin and the worst part was this time even after an hour or two i still dont get to boot up the pc. I gave up and decided to replace my PSU today.

5. So today i thought what the heck lets try to start the pc again and Walla !!! It booted up and everthing was working fine until i found out none of keyboard keys are registering. My mouse was working fine. But later i realized my Tab and Enter works fine but not the alphabets. And funny later on my mouse stopped working too. When i plug out and in my mouse and keyboard same thing happens. Only Tab and Enter key works and mouse will die off after a while and then my pc froze again !!!. So this time i was convinced my motherboard is failing or already failed.

6. I decided to test my power supply with the paper clip. And i tested it by plugging three case fans too. The case fans will light up and spin forever but my power supply fan will stop after like less than 10 seconds. I checked on the internet and many said this is a normal behavior. 

So thats my story. My question is am I right my motherboard has failed or am i missing something else here? Greatly appreciate your inputs !!! Thanks in advance

My pc specs

CPU: Intel i7 4790k

Mobo: Asus Maximus hero vii

GPU : Asus Nvidia GTX970 Strix

Memory: Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB (2x8GB)

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i 

Case: Corsair Graphite 760t

14 minutes ago, Tha_G said:

Hi im new to this forum.

Welcome!

17 minutes ago, Tha_G said:

I gave up and decided to replace my PSU today.

so from point 5 onwards you are using your new PSU?

17 minutes ago, Tha_G said:

The case fans will light up and spin forever but my power supply fan will stop after like less than 10 seconds. I checked on the internet and many said this is a normal behavior. 

this is normal behaviour on many PSUs to reduce noise they only turn the fan on when they are hot.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Check if same happens when you run with 1 RAM stick in different slots. Maybe PSU is indeed dying. Or maybe your mains is unstable? You may try getting socket filter to normalize voltage, or even UPS. But try out first solutions without any additional shopping.

12 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

Welcome!

so from point 5 onwards you are using your new PSU?

this is normal behaviour on many PSUs to reduce noise they only turn the fan on when they are hot.

No, i havent change my PSU yet, still using the same PSU. I just thought checking it before i change my PSU

5 minutes ago, keik said:

Check if same happens when you run with 1 RAM stick in different slots. Maybe PSU is indeed dying. Or maybe your mains is unstable? You may try getting socket filter to normalize voltage, or even UPS. But try out first solutions without any additional shopping.

Sure i’ll check this and will update here

1 minute ago, Tha_G said:

Sure i’ll check this and will update here

Ok, good luck :)

So i solved the freezing issues, i remember my windows performed updates prior to this freezing incident so i uninstalled those updates and the PC doesnt freeze anymore. But the not booting up issue still there. So i decided to perform the memory test. I plugged out all my case fans and one of the memory. At first the pc will only boot up few seconds after i press the power button. As i change to other memory slots the PC eventually booted up normally. It was the same when i tried booting up with the other memory too everything was fine. And later i plugged in both memories in their slots and it still booted normally too !!!. 

Once that done i plugged in back all my case fans and tried booting up again and everything was fine again. This was yesterday. Today however the same thing happened. The PC never boot up after a clicking sound. So i took out one of the memory out again, and the PC booted up normally again. I shut down the PC to startup again, unfortunately this time the PC never boot again even with only one memory. Now after an hour or so i could boot up the PC normally again. I know it is exhausting to even write about it. So i decided to bring to the PC shop and test my PSU and motherboard on Tuesday. Is there any other test that i can perform before i spend my money on a new mobo or psu this Tuesday?

Hi everyone after testing with another power supply I am fairly confident it is the PSU issue now as the booting solved after testing with another PSU. I have a question is 80 plus silver efficiency 750watts PSU ok for my current specs? I dont want to splurge too much on the PSU as Im planning to revamp my whole system next year. Much appreciate your inputs here. Thanks

On 6/16/2020 at 11:14 AM, Tha_G said:

Hi everyone after testing with another power supply I am fairly confident it is the PSU issue now as the booting solved after testing with another PSU. I have a question is 80 plus silver efficiency 750watts PSU ok for my current specs? I dont want to splurge too much on the PSU as Im planning to revamp my whole system next year. Much appreciate your inputs here. Thanks

yep should be fine.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks