Upgrading time (Soon-ish)

Well, I've had a gtx 1080 (rog strix edition) paired with an i5-6500 and well... let's not get into that. Anyways what I'm looking for is a new cpu that goes well with the 1080. Unfortunately my mother board doesn't support anything above 7th gen intel so I was thinking to switching to amd. Regardless I have to get a new motherboard that'd support whatever I'd buy. Which leads down to the final problem, budget. Something that holds well for It's price and value would be much preferred as I'm not looking to buy anything expensive. Preferably something that's within the range of $400-$500 (Including the motherboard) would be great. 

(A side note, I'm in Australia so by generalizing the currency from where you guys might help me pick the parts would most turn out as this:  $1usd=1.44Aud so If you could go by the notion that'd help me even more) 

Thanks for your time! ❤️

5 minutes ago, AryazHere said:

Well, I've had a gtx 1080 (rog strix edition) paired with an i5-6500 and well... let's not get into that. Anyways what I'm looking for is a new cpu that goes well with the 1080. Unfortunately my mother board doesn't support anything above 7th gen intel so I was thinking to switching to amd. Regardless I have to get a new motherboard that'd support whatever I'd buy. Which leads down to the final problem, budget. Something that holds well for It's price and value would be much preferred as I'm not looking to buy anything expensive. Preferably something that's within the range of $400-$500 (Including the motherboard) would be great. 

(A side note, I'm in Australia so by generalizing the currency from where you guys might help me pick the parts would most turn out as this:  $1usd=1.44Aud so If you could go by the notion that'd help me even more) 

Thanks for your time! ❤️

If you're just gaming the i5 10600k (+motherboard) would also be an option besides amd

Get a used i7, should be fine until you can save up to comfortably do a complete overhaul.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I recommend possibly doing a small upgrade now (a compatible i7, for instance) and saving up to upgrade everything at once, but if you're only looking to upgrade your board and CPU this is what most will recommend.

According to au.pcpartpicker, an MSI b450 tomahawk max (very popular B450 board for its good VRM cooling and large cache chip) and a ryzen 5 3600 (great 3rd gen Ryzen value for performance) total at just over $500 aud. If you don't want to spend that much, then the tomahawk max and a Ryzen 5 1600 AFBOX will cost $100aud less, but will only be slightly worse. Both processors are 6c12t and the 1600 runs on an older process with lower clocks, but is known to be a very good value part.

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Get a used i7, should be fine until you can save up to comfortably do a complete overhaul.

If I recall correctly a recent ltt video covers how well old intel processors still hold up in new titles, and I agree, getting an i7 is probably the best choice