Native desktop app vs. browser tab

Hey guys,

I was wondering which of the 2 is the more optimal?

A) Having Gmail, Whatsapp, Notion, Toggl (and others) open in a web browser most of the time.

B) Downloading their designated desktop apps and have them running instead.

I ask in terms of PC load, ram, etc.

Thanks!

For Gmail, you are just running a specialized chrome instance and not a true "application".  

In fact many applications that run as apps are really just specialized browsers.  Plex Media Player and Tidal are two that come to mind. 

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

Just now, Thirdgen89GTA said:

For Gmail, you are just running a specialized chrome instance and not a true "application".  

In fact many applications that run as apps are really just specialized browsers.  Plex Media Player and Tidal are two that come to mind. 

Yeah, some apps are literally just a browser window in an app. Another is the w3schools app for android, it is literally a chrome window in an app 

CPU: i7 6700

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

Storage: 2TB Crucial SATA SSD + 2TB WD BLUE

• 3 weeks later...

it's exactly the same. these are "web apps" which are just websites in little containers. discord, for example, is a web app.