Fans at full blast when powered, No video at all

BobyTheDragon
Go to solution Solved by Spdrcrv6tt,

If it is bad power rails and the psu is overvolting, that could mean dead components. I have an old hp pavilion that just out of nowhere started exibiting the issues you suggest, and I never swapped the cpu to test if that was the issue. Full blast fans and no video BUT usb power output (i.e. rgb mouse lighting up) usually means dead cpu.

Ive got an older AM3 system that has for some reason just stopped booting entirely today (No video and fans at full blast). I had no issues with it a few days ago and have done no hardware or software modifications of any kind for as long as I can remember.

The system is as follows:
AMD FX 6300 (No overclocks or anything)
8 GBS of DDR3 HyperX ram (No overclocks either)
Asus GTX 960 2GB
Kingston 120 GB SSD
AM3 MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
Thermaltake 500 Watt PSU (Came with case when brought from store)
(If i missed anything just ask)

I have tried the following
- Re-seating GPU, CPU, RAM, Most Motherboard connectors
- Replacing RAM with a known working stick from my other system
- Replacing the motherboard to a gigabyte motherboard also known to be working
- Replacing the GPU with an older AMD card

- Clearing the CMOS on both the Gigabyte and MSI Motherboards (Down to removing the CMOS battery not just shorting the CMOS_CLR pins)

- Bench testing it (Only did this with the Gigabyte Motherboard) with only a CPU and 1 RAM stick installed (No boot disks or anything) and connecting to the motherboards onboard HDMI (No PCIe GPU).

All result in the system just turning on with no output and fans going full speed (Even left it like this for 10 minutes with nothing else happening). This leaves me to believe that there is an issue with either the CPU or PSU. But I want some more opinions before I go out and buy a new one of either only to buy the wrong thing. Or if anyone has an idea I can try. Happy to answer any questions as well.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Sounds to me, from my experience, like a dead cpu. Try a new on and see what happens.

Newbie here

2 and a half years in this field

Take my advice with a grain of salt!

1 minute ago, Spdrcrv6tt said:

Sounds to me, from my experience, like a dead cpu. Try a new on and see what happens.

I am considering it to. Since I did have an old Dell PC with a CPU removed boot and the fans blasted at full speed. But ive had a friend tell me it could be bad power rails on the PSU (The PSU itself is about 6 years old now).

If it is bad power rails and the psu is overvolting, that could mean dead components. I have an old hp pavilion that just out of nowhere started exibiting the issues you suggest, and I never swapped the cpu to test if that was the issue. Full blast fans and no video BUT usb power output (i.e. rgb mouse lighting up) usually means dead cpu.

Newbie here

1 minute ago, Spdrcrv6tt said:

Alright. Thank you for the help. I guess ill have to have a good look around for a new CPU then for it lol.

Something cheap like this should work to test if that's the issue.

Newbie here