Beep from tomahawk max

Hi all, I’ve been experiencing a strange problem, don’t really know if it’s a real problem since everything runs great. Just built a pc and it beeps exactly 8 minutes loading into windows then randomly every few hours, it sounds like it’s coming from the Mobo but now I’m not so sure...

specs:

ryzen 3700x

noctua u12s cooler

tomahawk max

corsair lpx 32gb 3200

samsung evo ssd

wd blue hdd

rm550x psu

It’s not the psu or cpu since both have been swapped out and it still happens, so could be the ram / storage / Mobo 

I ran 3 hours of memtest86 (3 passes) and it showed no errors, I ran blend prime95 for 30mins and everything is fine no errors, bios and chipset is up to date

like I said everything runs great it’s just annoying I don’t know why it’s happening, my OCD doesnt help. It’s reproducible since it happens exactly 8 minutes after booting up, then every few hours it’s random

event viewer shows nothing in errors/warnings etc

anyone with the same Mobo experience this? It’s a short BEEP, no ezdebup lights on Mobo or anything when it happens

please help

UPDATE: after going through everything and unplugging/replacing many components I find out it’s the god dam hdd which was causing the beep, I have no idea why its doing that but I feel like taking a hammer to it, I will close this topic and open a new one in storage sub forums, thanks everyone

It's a code. How many beeps?

1 Beep - Refresh Failure
Reseat/replace memory, troubleshoot motherboard.

2 Beeps - Parity Error
Reseat/replace memory, troubleshoot motherboard.

3 Beeps - Memory Error (first 64KB)
Reseat/replace memory.

4 Beeps - Timer Failure
Troubleshoot motherboard.

5 Beeps - Processor Failure
Troubleshoot CPU, motherboard.

6 Beeps - Keyboard Controller Failure
Troubleshoot keyboard, motherboard.

7 Beeps - Virtual Mode Exception Error
Troubleshoot CPU, motherboard.

8 Beeps - Display Memory Failure
Trouleshoot graphics card, motherboard.

9 Beeps - ROM BIOS Checksum Failure
Replace ROM BIOS, troubleshoot motherboard.

10 Beeps - CMOS Shutdown Register Failure
Troubleshoot motherboard.

11 Beeps - L2 Cache Failure
Troubleshoot L2 cache, motherboard.

Continuous Beeps - Memory or Video Failure
Troubleshoot memory, graphics card, motherboard.

14 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

It's a code. How many beeps?

Just one short beep, I looked up the msi code I couldn’t understand it, but seems like a code is more than one beep, any ideas?

Just now, pasipapo said:

Just one short beep, I looked up the msi code I couldn’t understand it, but seems like a code is more than one beep, any ideas?

I have a gd65 so the codes are same. Take the ram out blow air on it then put it back. It fixed it for me

6 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

I have a gd65 so the codes are same. Take the ram out blow air on it then put it back. It fixed it for me

Thank you so much for your help I’ll try this now and report back

46 minutes ago, pasipapo said:

Thank you so much for your help I’ll try this now and report back

I think you were right but it’s still doing it, I noticed a small imperfection when removing the ram (like 1mm of plastic or something stuck on the ram) it seems the ram I got looks abit damaged and I didn’t notice it first time putting it in, should I send it back? It’s within my return window

55 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

Yeh it looks like I can still return it, I want to try and scrape the thing off the ram but I’m worried it voids being able to return it, the other 3 sticks look perfectly fine

5 minutes ago, pasipapo said:

Yeh it looks like I can still return it, I want to try and scrape the thing off the ram but I’m worried it voids being able to return it, the other 3 sticks look perfectly fine

could you send a picture?

1 minute ago, Berkomeister said:

I’ve just left to go shopping so on my phone but I’ll try and describe it with stock photo. The parts that insert into the Mobo with the golden lines, a tiny part of it is black like there’s plastic or something on it. It looks like I might be able to scrape it off but I’m very worried about doing that in case I damage it further, should I just deal with it? Apart from the beep the system runs fine

7E8CB466-8C25-4D11-8A1C-4CE6F4FBCF12.jpeg

Just now, pasipapo said:

I’ve just left to go shopping so on my phone but I’ll try and describe it with stock photo. The parts that insert into the Mobo with the golden lines, a tiny part of it is black like there’s plastic or something on it. It looks like I might be able to scrape it off but I’m very worried about doing that in case I damage it further, should I just deal with it? Apart from the beep the system runs fine

7E8CB466-8C25-4D11-8A1C-4CE6F4FBCF12.jpeg

I’ll try and get a real photo when I get back

On 6/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Berkomeister said:

Hey mate sorry for late reply I returned the ram and got different ones, crucial ballistixs same speed but cheaper than Corsair, issue still persists, I tried re-seating gfx card same thing...is there anything else I can do?

3 minutes ago, pasipapo said:

Hey mate sorry for late reply I returned the ram and got different ones, crucial ballistixs same speed but cheaper than Corsair, issue still persists, I tried re-seating gfx card same thing...is there anything else I can do?

blow air on the motherboard ram slots...maybe? Probably a motherboard issue at this point

I tried that too, I have compressed air I got yesterday, I’ll try that too now see if it helps

57 minutes ago, Berkomeister said:

blow air on the motherboard ram slots...maybe? Probably a motherboard issue at this point

Its still happening :( i recorded the sound, can you give it a listen and confirm its def the mobo?

https://vocaroo.com/5ySSsiCCho0

thats what it sounds like, 8 minutes into booting up then randomly happens every hour or so.

4 minutes ago, pasipapo said:

Its still happening :( i recorded the sound, can you give it a listen and confirm its def the mobo?

https://vocaroo.com/5ySSsiCCho0

thats what it sounds like, 8 minutes into booting up then randomly happens every hour or so.

I don't know how to tell you this but I think that's just a successful boot beep.

1 beep should sound like this except it should beep once:

Error beeps are longer

Well I feel really stupid, but I figured that happens during post, it’s happening in windows too ( aswell as bios if I wait long enough) it’s like clockwork, but the strange thing is it happens randomly too an hour or so after being in windows..it’s just very strange 

you could try a bios update, also check if it has a temperature warning in bios, and make sure its not set too low.

10 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

you could try a bios update, also check if it has a temperature warning in bios, and make sure its not set too low.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and put some load on the pc for about 10 mins, cpu and gpu temps are around 30c idle and 60/65 max load, Mobo temp / vrm 30c idle and 40-50 max load I don’t think it’s a temp issue. I’ll double check the bios to see if there’s a warning that might be set low, couldn’t see anything when looking through before

Msi support replied to my web ticket and said if reseating the ram or gfx doesn’t work then they are not sure why I’m getting a beep in the OS as it shouldn’t happen (lol) I sent them the sound file and asked if they could show it to a tech guy maybe he would know but I don’t know where else to look for help. Thought msi support might know more about their own mobos...

11 hours ago, pasipapo said:

Well I feel really stupid, but I figured that happens during post, it’s happening in windows too ( aswell as bios if I wait long enough) it’s like clockwork, but the strange thing is it happens randomly too an hour or so after being in windows..it’s just very strange 

Weird, If MSI wants to inspect it it's probably a defective motherboard

5 hours ago, Berkomeister said:

Weird, If MSI wants to inspect it it's probably a defective motherboard

I kind of regret not waiting for something like the X570 tomahawk, I heard good things about the b450 and while it performs great this issue is causing my OCD to go into turbo mode 

well MSI support passed my issue onto the right department with the sound file, from what theyve said its highly unlikely to be hardware related as any sound from the mobo usually happens in post and has a code, while mine can be reproduced and happens in the OS as a single beep. They suspect its a software causing it to send a signal causing the beep and told me to check my startup processes, but this still happens after re-installing windows twice, i told them this and havnt heard back from them in 2 days...ive searched the internet everywhere and cant find anyone with a similar issue..thanks for all those that replied but i guess i just have to deal with it and if anything goes wrong hope its within warranty period when it does.

• 5 months later...

Hello! Did you ever resolve this issue with you're motherboard??  I built a PC with the same mobo in July 2020 and I am hearing the EXACT same single beep. Sometimes in post and sometimes in windows. Sometimes its right at boot and other times its hours after boot.  Everything seems to be fine but just like you said my OCD is making this beep drive me crazy. I also got two quick beeps on one occasion here awhile ago, but only a single beep since.  We also have the same HDD and i see you updated youre orignal comment was that the source of the bee??