Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RTX2060 with a CX450?

IIDiversity
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Zando Bob,

CX 2017 refresh is great, you should have no issues. I ran an i5 2400 and a 980 Ti (250W card) off a 450W CXM without issue, and that's an older and slightly worse PSU. 

Hello, currently I am very stuck and puzzled. I decided I want to buy my all-round dream card, the RTX2060 because the fps is perfect and RTX on is a nice to have. I recently bought  a Ryzen 5 2600 with a B450ma and 16gb of ram clocked at 3200mhz. I decided to replace my gtx1050 because its slowly dying and its not powerful enough anymore as I want to try out higher quality games such as RDR2, CP2077 and MFS2020. I have been saving for a long time and am almost there until I found out my limiting factor, which is my PSU. I did more research and found out that it would be fine, especially that I won't OC and will have vsync on for most games until I buy a gsync monitor which is way in the future. Just in case, I questioned forums, however they were mixed, some say my pc will blow up, some say its a huge risk and some say it'll work flawlessly. I plan on purchasing a CX550 asap, which will take up to a few weeks to buy, but I want to enjoy playing games, and want to really try out red dead redemption 2. Please thoroughly describe if my cpu and ram is sufficient, and if my PSU is going to do fine for the next few weeks, It is a CX450 grey label from 2017 and I barely put any load onto it anyways. Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be fine.

PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Black | Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX | RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL16 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB m.2, Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" | GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700XT | Case: NZXT H510 | PSU: Corsair RM550x

788,303 PPD F@H

 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard: Logitech G513 GX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Monitors: Samsung TU7100 43" 4K HDR, 2 xAcer 28" 4K | Heaphones: Sony Platinum Wireless | Mic: Blue Yeti Nano

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

CX 2017 refresh is great, you should have no issues. I ran an i5 2400 and a 980 Ti (250W card) off a 450W CXM without issue, and that's an older and slightly worse PSU. 

X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Rig - i7 6950X @4.2GHz w/Watercool Heatkiller IV Block - EVGA X99 Classified w/Intel AX200 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia 2060 Super FE w/Corsair XG7 Block - 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB WD Blue SATA M.2 + 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda in RAID1 - LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Drive - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D Air - 360mm Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS rad + EKWB D5 pump/res and ZMT tubing - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 3 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000 - LG 27UK650-W - Corsair K55 - Logitech G502 - AKG K371BT - Windows 10 Pro

 

Daily Devices:

MacBook Pro 15,4 - i7 4980HQ - 16GB DDR3L - Iris Pro/Radeon R9 M370X 2GB - 1TB SSD - macOS 11 Big Sur {work}  

iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB - iOS 15 Beta

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

It will be fine.

Ok thank you for the straight forward reply!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

CX 2017 refresh is great, you should have no issues. I ran an i5 2400 and a 980 Ti (250W card) off a 450W CXM without issue, and that's an older and slightly worse PSU. 

Cheers! Should I still consider purchasing a higher watt psu or just save my money?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IIDiversity said:

Cheers! Should I still consider purchasing a higher watt psu or just save my money?

Should be fine unless you upgrade GPUs. Even the 2060 Super (which pulls more power than the normal 2060) only pulls around 195W max, and the R5 2600 looks to be pulling around 77W or so max. So you're still under 300W for CPU + GPU, leaving 150W for RAM, mobo, fans, and any PCIe cards, RGB, or anything like that you may have. None of those pull much power, so unless you ran a crazy amount of them, you'll be fine. 

X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Rig - i7 6950X @4.2GHz w/Watercool Heatkiller IV Block - EVGA X99 Classified w/Intel AX200 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia 2060 Super FE w/Corsair XG7 Block - 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB WD Blue SATA M.2 + 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda in RAID1 - LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Drive - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D Air - 360mm Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS rad + EKWB D5 pump/res and ZMT tubing - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 3 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000 - LG 27UK650-W - Corsair K55 - Logitech G502 - AKG K371BT - Windows 10 Pro

 

Daily Devices:

MacBook Pro 15,4 - i7 4980HQ - 16GB DDR3L - Iris Pro/Radeon R9 M370X 2GB - 1TB SSD - macOS 11 Big Sur {work}  

iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB - iOS 15 Beta

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, IIDiversity said:

Hello, currently I am very stuck and puzzled. I decided I want to buy my all-round dream card, the RTX2060 because the fps is perfect and RTX on is a nice to have. I recently bought  a Ryzen 5 2600 with a B450ma and 16gb of ram clocked at 3200mhz. I decided to replace my gtx1050 because its slowly dying and its not powerful enough anymore as I want to try out higher quality games such as RDR2, CP2077 and MFS2020. I have been saving for a long time and am almost there until I found out my limiting factor, which is my PSU. I did more research and found out that it would be fine, especially that I won't OC and will have vsync on for most games until I buy a gsync monitor which is way in the future. Just in case, I questioned forums, however they were mixed, some say my pc will blow up, some say its a huge risk and some say it'll work flawlessly. I plan on purchasing a CX550 asap, which will take up to a few weeks to buy, but I want to enjoy playing games, and want to really try out red dead redemption 2. Please thoroughly describe if my cpu and ram is sufficient, and if my PSU is going to do fine for the next few weeks, It is a CX450 grey label from 2017 and I barely put any load onto it anyways. Thanks in advance!

I have exact same specs like you except the PSU, I have a CX550w the same 2017 grey series. Nvidia recommends a 500w PSU for the 2060 so it's good if you are upgrading to CX550. But for few weeks the 450w will do just fine. The CX 2017 grey PSUs are great units. No need to worry just don't overclock CPU or GPU till your CX550 arrives. 

System Specs:

  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.40ghz (6C/12T)
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-K
  • RAM: Corsair LPX 2*8GB DDR4 @3200mhz CL16
  • GPU: Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 (TU-104 variant) 6GB GDDR6
  • Case: Antec GX202
  • Storage
  • SSD: WD 240GB,
    HDD: Toshiba 1 TB @7200rpm
  • PSU: Corsair CX550 (2017 grey unit)
  • Display(s): BenQ 22 inches monitor, 1080p @ 60hz
  • Cooling: 3 Antec case fans 120 mm (2 blue LED front intake and 1 non LED rear exhaust)
  • Sound: Behringer UMC22 USB Audio interface, AudioTechnica ATH M20x studio headphones
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, vinit6694skr said:

I have exact same specs like you except the PSU, I have a CX550w the same 2017 grey series. Nvidia recommends a 500w PSU for the 2060 so it's good if you are upgrading to CX550. But for few weeks the 450w will do just fine. The CX 2017 grey PSUs are great units. No need to worry just don't overclock CPU or GPU till your CX550 arrives. 

Ok thank you, its what I've been planning to do, by not overclocking which I never do. The only overclock I do is setting ram timings from 2333mhz to 3200mhz which im pretty sure should not be much of an issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IIDiversity said:

Ok thank you, its what I've been planning to do, by not overclocking which I never do. The only overclock I do is setting ram timings from 2333mhz to 3200mhz which im pretty sure should not be much of an issue

Me too only OC the RAM sticks to their rated 3200mhz using DOCP in the BIOS. 

System Specs:

  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.40ghz (6C/12T)
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-K
  • RAM: Corsair LPX 2*8GB DDR4 @3200mhz CL16
  • GPU: Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 (TU-104 variant) 6GB GDDR6
  • Case: Antec GX202
  • Storage
  • SSD: WD 240GB,
    HDD: Toshiba 1 TB @7200rpm
  • PSU: Corsair CX550 (2017 grey unit)
  • Display(s): BenQ 22 inches monitor, 1080p @ 60hz
  • Cooling: 3 Antec case fans 120 mm (2 blue LED front intake and 1 non LED rear exhaust)
  • Sound: Behringer UMC22 USB Audio interface, AudioTechnica ATH M20x studio headphones
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×