help with ddr4 memory

PolishGuy

just today i have built my pc up from scrach because of buing mostly new parts and after i started it up and went inot bios to change to the xmp setiing it was all ok, untill i checked my ram usage on the task manager, when i look into it i see that there is indeed 16 gb of memory installed but 8,5gb of it is hardware reserved, it was my first time building a pc so i don't know if i did something wrong, please help me if you can.

my specs:

Motherboard: Msi gaming plus max

cpu: ryzen 5 3600

ram: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16

psu: Seasonic Core Gold GC 650

ssd: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD

image.thumb.png.9ad1c85fd15c5d786e690f5f58d44031.png

Just now, PolishGuy said:

just today i have built my pc up from scrach because of buing mostly new parts and after i started it up and went inot bios to change to the xmp setiing it was all ok, untill i checked my ram usage on the task manager, when i look into it i see that there is indeed 16 gb of memory installed but 8,5gb of it is hardware reserved, it was my first time building a pc so i don't know if i did something wrong, please help me if you can.

Reseat the memory (take it out of the motherboard and re-insert it).

Make sure the RAM is in slots 2 and 4 (counting from the left side/CPU socket side)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, minibois said:

Make sure the RAM is in slots 2 and 4 (counting from the left side/CPU socket side)

did that, didin't help. ram is still at 16 but hardware reserved is 8,5, same as picture above

20 minutes ago, minibois said:

I went into the BIOS and tried disabling the xmp and now when I try to start my system I keep getting blue screen

8 minutes ago, PolishGuy said:

did that, didin't help. ram is still at 16 but hardware reserved is 8,5, same as picture above

2 minutes ago, PolishGuy said:

I went into the BIOS and tried disabling the xmp and now when I try to start my system I keep getting blue screen

Try memory stick #1 in slot two. Does it work (with XMP and in Windows)? Great.

Now take memory stick #1 out and do the same with memory stick #2 in slot two.

I kind of have a feeling one of the sticks is acting up.

You could try updating the motherboard BIOS too, maybe there was a RAM issue with the current version

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

You could try updating the motherboard BIOS too, maybe there was a RAM issue with the current version

Update: it keeps trying to automatically repair but after that it boots and goes into a blue screen again, right now it's stuck at attempting repairs, haven't tried taking out the memory yet and trying it in slot 2

34 minutes ago, minibois said:

Tried putting stick #1 and 2 in slot 2 but both keep getting blue screen saying bad system config info

16 minutes ago, PolishGuy said:

Tried putting stick #1 and 2 in slot 2 but both keep getting blue screen saying bad system config info

Sounds like your RAM is really acting up in this case.

Just now, minibois said:

I believe that, tried turning xmp on and off on both 1x8 and 2x8 config, none will work pc keeps getting blue screen, it all started when I turned off the xmp first time with both rams in the slots, could I have broken them or something like that ?

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Shouldn't my dram led light up if it would be my ram problem ?

2 minutes ago, PolishGuy said:

I believe that, tried turning xmp on and off on both 1x8 and 2x8 config, none will work pc keeps getting blue screen, it all started when I turned off the xmp first time with both rams in the slots, could I have broken them or something like that ?

In the past I have had issue with Corsair+AMD boards, but that was mainly with enabling the XMP profile.

Sounds like a memory problem though

Just now, PolishGuy said:

Shouldn't my dram led light up if it would be my ram problem ?

That's mainly for if it found memory issues during startup; but necessarily for when you're booting into Windows.

But of course I can't say it's not  motherboard problem

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

In the past I have had issue with Corsair+AMD boards, but that was mainly with enabling the XMP profile.

Sounds like a memory problem though

That's mainly for if it found memory issues during startup; but necessarily for when you're booting into Windows.

But of course I can't say it's not  motherboard problem

Everything booted up properly the first time I started it, changed the xmp to enabled and it was still working properly, tried to disable the xmp to maybe fix the problem of ram on hardware reserved and that broke it down, I keep getting blue screens and can't get into windows at all, I also don't have any other ddr4 memory laying around only an 8gb stick of old ddr3 so I can't check if that is the problem.  Should I try to flash the BIOS when I wake up tomorrow ?