Graphics Card Choice?

mcmxcii

Hi

I've been out of the PC space for a number of years, i'm looking to get back into some gaming. I build my PC when GTX680 was the Flagship card from Nvidia. I want to start playing some games again however my 680 doesn't really cut it anymore especially in Apex Legends. I want to upgrade however i don't want to spend a lot of money as i don't play games as much as i used to. I was thinking between a GTX 1660 super and 1660 TI. (MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB VENTUS XS OC Turing Graphics Card @ £274.99) and (Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB OC Turing Graphics Card @ £227.99) I have looked at the reviews and can only see minor improvements in the FPS on the TI.

I wanted advise to if there was any more difference than just the core count and the mhz as i have not been following tech news as strickly as i once did. I also would like to know If i there would be any real bottlenecking of my CPU as these cards are a big job from my current card. I am running a Core i5 2500k (sandy bridge) with 16gb of ram. I'm not looking to do a whole upgrade just enough to bring me back into the game.

I would like to play games such as Alex Legends, Rocket Leage, Heros of the Storm, Tomb Raider, elder scrolls skyrim or new version if they are releasing one in the future and maybe a bit of WOWif i decide to get back into that. I game on a 2560x1440 60hz monitor (so looking to be able to run 60fps min) and would like to play high - ultra as i appreciate the graphics of games like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I am swaying to the 1660 Super, due to cost savings.

Advise would be appreicated

Thanks

The 1660S is pretty much on par with the 1660Ti in terms of gaming performance and has the advantage of using GDDR6 memory, so for £50 cheaper, it's a no-brainer.

For the latest AAA titles, the 2500K will hold the 1660S back, sometimes by quite a significant amount, but it should be enough for the titles you mentioned you want to play, and the fact that you'll be playing at 1440p will only help in lessening the load on the CPU.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The 1660S is pretty much on par with the 1660Ti in terms of gaming performance and has the advantage of using GDDR6 memory, so for £50 cheaper, it's a no-brainer.

For the latest AAA titles, the 2500K will hold the 1660S back, sometimes by quite a significant amount, but it should be enough for the titles you mentioned you want to play, and the fact that you'll be playing at 1440p will only help in lessening the load on the CPU.

Hi Mateyyy,

Looking into the specs of both cards i see that both the TI and Super use GDDR6 memory?

Also because i was not following for the release of these cards. it just to be that the TI was the improved verion. example 1080 > 1080 TI. Is the case still the same but if with Super in the middle? 1600 > 1600 Super > 1660TI

3 minutes ago, mcmxcii said:

1080 > 1080 TI. Is

No it's the opposite

4 minutes ago, mcmxcii said:

1600 > 1600 Super > 1660TI

The opposite 

But the 1660 super is about the same as the 1660ti because nvidea gave it a way better frame buffer

4 minutes ago, mcmxcii said:

TI and Super use GDDR6 memory?

No just the super 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, mcmxcii said:

Hi Mateyyy,

Looking into the specs of both cards i see that both the TI and Super use GDDR6 memory?

Also because i was not following for the release of these cards. it just to be that the TI was the improved verion. example 1080 > 1080 TI. Is the case still the same but if with Super in the middle?

Wow nevermind, I was thinking of the regular 1660 lol

Well the 1660 Super released a few months after the 1660 and 1660Ti came around, in order to be more competitive in that $230ish price bracket.

What the 1660S has over the 1660Ti, despite both featuring GDDR6 memory, is the fact that the memory on the Super runs at a higher speed - 14Gbps on the Super and 12Gbps on the Ti. This in turn pretty much negates the advantage in CUDA cores the 1660Ti has, hence the 1660S performing so similarly to the Ti.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it's the opposite

The opposite 

But the 1660 super is about the same as the 1660ti because nvidea gave it a way better frame buffer

No just the super 

Hi Tofuharoto

When i used > i meant it in terms of an arrow moving up the ranks. However on reflection is does read that the 1080 is greater than the 1080 TI this was not my intention. Sorry about the confusion.

Just now, mcmxcii said:

Hi Tofuharoto

When i used > i meant it in terms of an arrow moving up the ranks. However on reflection is does read that the 1080 is greater than the 1080 TI this was not my intention. Sorry about the confusion.

No it's all good ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Wow nevermind, I was thinking of the regular 1660 lol

Well the 1660 Super released a few months after the 1660 and 1660Ti came around, in order to be more competitive in that $230ish price bracket.

What the 1660S has over the 1660Ti, despite both featuring GDDR6 memory, is the fact that the memory on the Super runs at a higher speed - 14Gbps on the Super and 12Gbps on the Ti. This in turn pretty much negates the advantage in CUDA cores the 1660Ti has, hence the 1660S performing so similarly to the Ti.

Okay so while both feature the GDDR6 memory the Super takes advantage of this memory by running faster. Will my computer be able to take advantage of the increase memory speed on the Super considering that my CPU is older. Or will the CPU not effect the performance gains of the faster memory. I am thinking if my PC can't take advantage of the faster GDDR6 memory, would more cores but slower memory of the TI be more benifical?

5 minutes ago, mcmxcii said:

would more cores but slower memory of the TI be more benifical?

No not really since it is like 50ish dollars more expensive and has the same performance 

Yes it does have more cuda cores but I doubt that will be used for a gaming Machine

The better frame buffer will be the way to go especially because it is cheaper

Build Log: