How do I identify a bottleneck?

bluecew
Go to solution Solved by Haro,
3 minutes ago, bluecew said:

For example in one game, my GPU usage is always above 90% and CPU usage is always above 60%, is that bottlenecked?

No it's not 

In some games it's more GPU intensive than cpu 

A Bottleneck would be if one of them is PINNED at 100 all the times and one is at like 30 that would be a Bottleneck

I have MSI Afterburner on and currently monitoring my CPU/GPU usage and RAM usage. I want to see if there is a bottleneck in my system but I don't really know how to analyze the usages. An explanation to usages would be helpful, thanks!

I believe there is no such thing as a bottleneck. 

For example, what do you use the system for? If you use it for games, check what usage the CPU, GPU and RAM are at, and then upgrade accordingly. 

if the GPU is at 95% and the CPU 40%, then the most obvious option would be to upgrade the GPU. 

A Bottleneck occures if either the cpu or the GPU can't keep up with the other component leading to the stronger component to slow down so it's more even 

If for e.g the cpu is at a way like WAY less usage than the GPU or the other way around the it's a Bottleneck

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

A Bottleneck occures if either the cpu or the GPU can't keep up with the other component leading to the stronger component to slow down so it's more even 

If for e.g the cpu is at a way like WAY less usage than the GPU or the other way around the it's a Bottleneck

For example in one game, my GPU usage is always above 90% and CPU usage is always above 60%, is that bottlenecked?

3 minutes ago, bluecew said:

No it's not 

A Bottleneck would be if one of them is PINNED at 100 all the times and one is at like 30 that would be a Bottleneck

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it's not 

A Bottleneck you be if one of them is PINNED at 100 all the times and one is at like 30 that would be a Bottleneck

Ah thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Great explanation!

There's always a bottleneck somewhere or else your games will be running at gazillions fps. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

There's always a bottleneck somewhere or else your games will be running at gazillions fps. 

That is "technically" true but it's not the Bottleneck that would actually matter ;)

Build Log: