New PC Build

Budget (including currency): under 800£

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My current is pc 5 years old 

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z97P-D3

Processor: intel i5 4690k 3.5 GHz 

I have got a AIO on it 

GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB

RAM: HyperX Fury series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600mhz

PSU: Zalman ZM600-LX

I have got some old and small SSD for Windows only.

I'm planning on buying a new PC, I've already got the mother board which is MSI B450 tomahawk (not max), I'll get the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 for it and I've got the thermal take view 71 as a case.

I don't really want to buy a new GPU so I'll keep the 1060, what I'm struggling with is everything else like the ram ,should I get an SSD ? Nvme ? What PSU should I get etc.

I don't want to do any hard core water cooling but a new aio for my cp would be nice

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest some parts or answer any of my questions.

Oh and I'm planning to go full rgb :)

thank you 

15 minutes ago, Rruffyy said:

I don't really want to buy a new GPU so I'll keep the 1060, what I'm struggling with is everything else like the ram ,should I get an SSD ? Nvme ? What PSU should I get etc

You should definitely get a new, large SSD. They are cheap enough these days you could skip mechanical storage completely.

Here's the PSU tier list from this forum: 

I would get anything B+ tier or higher for your system. 

Keep in mind the fact that you'll need to update the BIOS on the Tomahawk, otherwise it won't POST with a 3600, so either take it to a local PC shop where they could do this, or get something like a cheap 200GE, flash the BIOS and then put the 3600 in (AMD used to offer these for free so you could update the BIOS and then send it back, don't know if this is still the case).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

44 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Keep in mind the fact that you'll need to update the BIOS on the Tomahawk, otherwise it won't POST with a 3600, so either take it to a local PC shop where they could do this, or get something like a cheap 200GE, flash the BIOS and then put the 3600 in (AMD used to offer these for free so you could update the BIOS and then send it back, don't know if this is still the case).

Is it difficult to flash the bios then ? Or is it something I could do with some instructions?

And thank you for those parts :)

54 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

You should definitely get a new, large SSD. They are cheap enough these days you could skip mechanical storage completely.

Here's the PSU tier list from this forum: 

I would get anything B+ tier or higher for your system. 

Thank you :)

4 minutes ago, Rruffyy said:

Is it difficult to flash the bios then ? Or is it something I could do with some instructions?

And thank you for those parts :)

It's fairly straightforward. Just download the latest BIOS from the board's webpage, put it onto a USB drive, plug that into the computer then go into the BIOS, look for an option for BIOS updating, select the BIOS that's on the USB drive and let it do its thing.

It should be fairly quick and there shouldn't be any problems unless you turn off the computer while it's flashing the BIOS, so if you have frequent power outages and don't have an UPS you plug your PC into, you might want to take it to a local shop and have them do it for you, as losing power while flashing the BIOS will brick the board and you'd have to RMA it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It's fairly straightforward. Just download the latest BIOS from the board's webpage, put it onto a USB drive, plug that into the computer then go into the BIOS, look for an option for BIOS updating, select the BIOS that's on the USB drive and let it do its thing.

It should be fairly quick and there shouldn't be any problems unless you turn off the computer while it's flashing the BIOS, so if you have frequent power outages and don't have an UPS you plug your PC into, you might want to take it to a local shop and have them do it for you, as losing power while flashing the BIOS will brick the board and you'd have to RMA it.

I might do that myself then haven't had a power outage in years , thank you very much mate

5 minutes ago, Rruffyy said:

I might do that myself then haven't had a power outage in years , thank you very much mate

No problem mate, good luck with building it and have fun!