Corsair Obsidian 650d Or Bitfenix Shinobi Xl

Hi everyone! :D

After doing some research into doing my new build, I can't decide upon the case to choose. I have narrowed it down too two cases. The 650D and the Shinobi XL.

I love the simplicity of both cases and they both have a side window which I want.

With me using Alchemy Cables I'm not sure how the 650D will cable manage because I seen a review of the case where the side panel was curved because of the cables. So I'm concerned with the cable management space, if I was to get the 650D.

Anyway, I'm only planning on using a h100i but along the years think about custom watercooling, so the Shinobi would be a good case to do that. Also, I was planning on removing all the HDD cages to allow better airflow and place them in the 5.25" bays.

However, the Shinobi is cheaper at the moment and it's a full size case. But I also care a lot about aesthetics! :P 

So what would you guys recommend? Any advice guidance is much appreciated! Thanks all!

Kieran

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

I pretty sure the Shinobi's front panel prongs that keeps it secure breaks really easily. Correct me if im wrong, I would definitely go for the 650d! The rubber grommets are pretty good for managing the cables.  

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

I pretty sure the Shinobi's front panel prongs that keeps it secure breaks really easily. Correct me if im wrong, I would definitely go for the 650d! The rubber grommets are pretty good for managing the cables.  

That's good to know thanks! I would like the case to last a very long time. I really like the 650D but the price difference and cable management area behind the tray is bothering me, but if you have any information on that then thats great!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

another decision factor is probably whether you would do water cooling in the future.

I probably will but not for a long time, a H100i I think will do me just fine at the moment. I'm waiting for Haswell to come out and get the reviews read before purchasing, as I'm with Sandy at the moment but would like to upgrade to an i7.

But I don't think I would custom watercool for at least 2 - 3 years as I'm hoping my new system would last at least that long. Thanks for your input! :D

I own 4 650D's, these are amazing cases all these cases are for my clients. They have a lot of room in the back for cable management. Pm if you questions , here to help. :)

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

I own 4 650D's, these are amazing cases all these cases are for my clients. They have a lot of room in the back for cable management. Pm if you questions , here to help. :)

That's smashing information, thanks Maine! :D I really like the 650D and I think my decision has been made, was great to get an input from a fellow member that has owned one!

I was concerned whether the cable extensions would cause the side panel to curve.

However, even though the case is a little smaller than the Shinobi, I do prefer the 650D's looks!

That's smashing information, thanks Maine! :D I really like the 650D and I think my decision has been made, was great to get an input from a fellow member that has owned one!

I was concerned whether the cable extensions would cause the side panel to curve.

However, even though the case is a little smaller than the Shinobi, I do prefer the 650D's looks!

The side panels are very soild, if you have like a million cables then maybe it'd bend a little. Lol.

Spoiler

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

Kieran, get out of my head. I swear to god I just loaded up the forum to make a post asking this exact question. I was even gonna ask about watercooling too. This is some freaky shit.

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Kieran, get out of my head. I swear to god I just loaded up the forum to make a post asking this exact question. I was even gonna ask about watercooling too. This is some freaky shit.

HE STOLE YOUR JOB / IDEA

Spoiler

The Shinobi XL is more spcious and can fit more stuff (Triple 120mm rad mounting spot, 7 HDD bays instead of 6). But I'd still go for the 650D, it seems more sturdy.

I do like the aesthetic of the shinobi XL and it is a great case. However, the 650D is in a whole different class. It's just a beautiful case. I'd go for the 650 

The side panels are very soild, if you have like a million cables then maybe it'd bend a little. Lol.

Thanks for the information Maine! Much appreciated!

Ha! What are the chances! :P

The Shinobi XL is more spcious and can fit more stuff (Triple 120mm rad mounting spot, 7 HDD bays instead of 6). But I'd still go for the 650D, it seems more sturdy.

Much appreciated for the advice! Thanks! :D

I do like the aesthetic of the shinobi XL and it is a great case. However, the 650D is in a whole different class. It's just a beautiful case. I'd go for the 650

That is the one thing that brought me to considering this case mate! Though my decision has been made! 650D it is!

Personally I'd recommend the 350D, I prefer its looks. But if I had to choose from those two, I'd be cautious about the Shinobi XL since apparently it has some problems with build quality.

Personally I'd recommend the 350D, I prefer its looks. But if I had to choose from those two, I'd be cautious about the Shinobi XL since apparently it has some problems with build quality.

Thankyou for your input Dave! The only problem is I plan on getting an ATX motherboard, so it wouldn't fit.

Thanks,

Kieran

First the cable thing. Here the Shinobi wins since there is fair bit of room back there, and I know how tight the 650D will be with those cables - I got one myself just for your information.

The second thing is the air flow. IMHO the 650D has terrible airflow, the only reasonable fan configuration will give you negative air pressure. Has you probably know, the front only supports 200mm with a thickness of 20mm with the harddisk cages mounted. So with 2x120mm top and 1x120mm back it does not add up. If only you could mount one in the floor and two in the front (120/140mm). The Shinobi though supports lots of fans, but is nontheless bigger. Shinobi is the right choice here, also being if you want custom watercooling down the road.

But IMO there are better choises out there. But that is just me.

Good luck with your new build ;)

"I didn't find a path through life, I created one" Ryan Doyle

First the cable thing. Here the Shinobi wins since there is fair bit of room back there, and I know how tight the 650D will be with those cables - I got one myself just for your information.

The second thing is the air flow. IMHO the 650D has terrible airflow, the only reasonable fan configuration will give you negative air pressure. Has you probably know, the front only supports 200mm with a thickness of 20mm with the harddisk cages mounted. So with 2x120mm top and 1x120mm back it does not add up. If only you could mount one in the floor and two in the front (120/140mm). The Shinobi though supports lots of fans, but is nontheless bigger. Shinobi is the right choice here, also being if you want custom watercooling down the road.

But IMO there are better choises out there. But that is just me.

Good luck with your new build ;)

Thanks for all the information! I was planning on taking out all the HDD cages and using the 5.25" bays for my HDD's, as I won't be using many. So the thickness of the 200mm fan isn't really going to be an issue, as long as the holes line up.

The Shinobi is great for custom water cooling and I do like the aesthetics of the case. But with people saying the build quality isn't as good as the 650D's, it's putting me off. As much as I'd like custom water cooling, it's a lot more expensive than the H110 I plan on getting :P

Regarding airflow, I was planning on front 200mm intake, 140mm's top as intake and rear 120mm as exhaust. As long as I get decent temps that I honestly don't mind. I plan on waiting for Haswell before buying a new chip, just incase.

Thanks!

Kieran

Thanks for all the information! I was planning on taking out all the HDD cages and using the 5.25" bays for my HDD's, as I won't be using many. So the thickness of the 200mm fan isn't really going to be an issue, as long as the holes line up.

The Shinobi is great for custom water cooling and I do like the aesthetics of the case. But with people saying the build quality isn't as good as the 650D's, it's putting me off. As much as I'd like custom water cooling, it's a lot more expensive than the H110 I plan on getting :P

Regarding airflow, I was planning on front 200mm intake, 140mm's top as intake and rear 120mm as exhaust. As long as I get decent temps that I honestly don't mind. I plan on waiting for Haswell before buying a new chip, just incase.

Thanks!

Kieran

The aesthetics and build quality is definitly there in the Corsair case, and the H110 is a great compromise. Though beware that if you make your top fans as intakes, you will still have negative air pressure, and since hot air rises you will have physics against you, both with generel heat from components especially the motherboard, and risking that the hot air getting exhausted being pull in again.

Again I would probably not buy either one if these cases - Hope it helps.

"I didn't find a path through life, I created one" Ryan Doyle

The aesthetics and build quality is definitly there in the Corsair case, and the H110 is a great compromise. Though beware that if you make your top fans as intakes, you will still have negative air pressure, and since hot air rises you will have physics against you, both with generel heat from components especially the motherboard, and risking that the hot air getting exhausted being pull in again.

Again I would probably not buy either one if these cases - Hope it helps.

Ahhh I seen a website that says that with the amount of fans that are going in the case then the heat rises physic doesn't take place, or something along those lines so don't know how true that is, and if I push warm air through the rad, wouldn't that increase the temps? Which I would like to prevent.

I would like the C70, but that window has heavily, put me off.

Thanks,

Kieran

• 1 year later...

I own a Shinobi XL and I the issues described above, I have not encountered. It is a fabulous case. Theres heaps of room inside, great cable management with extra tie points and lots of cooling options. Just to prove that the case gets a fair go here

My Rig: CPU :- i7 - 5820K, Mobo :- EVGA X99 FTW, RAM :- 16GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS 2400MHz (4 x 4), GPU :- twin EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0 version 1, STORAGE :- Kingston HYPER X 128GB SSD (OS), 2 x WD 2TB Black HDD in RAID 0, PSU :- EVGA 1300W G2, CASE :- White Bitfenix Shinobi XL windowed. Bitfenix Recon Fan Controller. 

I own a Shinobi XL and I the issues described above, I have not encountered. It is a fabulous case. Theres heaps of room inside, great cable management with extra tie points and lots of cooling options. Just to prove that the case gets a fair go here

do appreciate your input, but reviving a 10-month old thread that is using dated data

is pouring fuel on the fire. but again, do appreciate the input.