AP mode or Bridge

kungfumonk

I have a internet connection at home and the Router that the ISP provided is a Huawei HG659b which has poor WiFi management and range. I bought a new router (Xiaomi 4A) which does not have VLAN tagging which is required by my ISP so I can't swap it out completely. The Huawei one supports Bridging mode, so I am wondering whether should I use Bridging Mode or AP mode? I am going to connect the new Xiaomi router by LAN to the old router either way and turn off its WiFI signals. Which is the best option?

I suppose you could go either route here. The depending factor being do you want to manage your network with your router or theirs?

Yours? Use bridged mode.

Theirs? Use AP mode.

I'm not aware of any overbearing reason to go either direction in this scenario.

27 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I suppose you could go either route here. The depending factor being do you want to manage your network with your router or theirs?

Yours? Use bridged mode.

Theirs? Use AP mode.

I'm not aware of any overbearing reason to go either direction in this scenario.

I am a little new in this area so if you don't mind I am gonna ask a few more questions.

If I were to do bridged mode, I should just leave my Xiaomi router as router mode instead is that right?

5 minutes ago, kungfumonk said:

I am a little new in this area so if you don't mind I am gonna ask a few more questions.

If I were to do bridged mode, I should just leave my Xiaomi router as router mode instead is that right?

Yep. The Xiaomi will collect your Public IP and all network management will be done through there. Port Forwarding, QoS, IP allocation, etc.