picking a gpu

JohnCarlHenry

I'm planning to buy a new gpu and I'm stuck choosing between Sapphire RX5500XT Pulse OC and Gigabyte RX580 Gaming. Which one should I go for or are there any other good choices around the same price point?

for reference this is my current system:

Ryzen 5 3400G

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Patriot Viper 16Gb dual Channel 3200Mhz

Cooler Master MWE 550W 80+ bronze

What are you paying for them where you are located? That would be important to know.

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

What are you paying for them where you are located? That would be important to know.

I'm in Philippines and the RX 580 is priced around 190 USD and the 5500XT is around 229USD

Have you checked the used market? I don't really know about the Philippines, but here you can get them for pretty cheap.

Otherwise I'd get the RX 5500XT as it is a newer card and is also slightly faster.

You can also look at the GTX 1650 super or GTX 1660 and see how much they cost. The 1650 super is a little slower than the 5500XT in most games, and the gtx 1660 is a little faster :D

55 minutes ago, adm0n said:

1650 super is a little slower than the 5500XT in most games, and the gtx 1660 is a little faster :D

No it's kind of the opposite 

The 1650 super has a smaller frame buffer (compared to the 8gig Variant or the 5500xt ) but is overall faster 

Also the 1660 is about the same as bother the 1650 super and the 5500xt 

They are all within the range of 5-10% of each other

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it's kind of the opposite 

The 1650 super has a smaller frame buffer (compared to the 8gig Variant or the 5500xt ) but is overall faster 

Also the 1660 is about the same as bother the 1650 super and the 5500xt 

They are all within the range of 5-10% of each other

I've used this review as basis for my claim.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-5500-xt-gaming-x-8-gb/

It depends on the title, but on average the 5500XT is faster overall. At least in the games I've looked at.

The Nvidia card has less bandwidht than the AMD card, but since Nvidia is better at compressing things in games, it shouldn't matter for that. But for both cards, the bandwidth is pretty low. Even a RX580 has slightly more bandwidht than the 5500XT and it is already limited by that. So I don't think the smaller framebuffer of the 1650 super will matter much, unless they plan to use their card for compute applications as well. In which case double the framebuffer would be huge.

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Don't use these reviews that have an "average" they are usually incorrect 

Use a video for reference 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

20 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Don't use these reviews that have an "average" they are usually incorrect 

Use a video for reference 

Looking at a more spohisticated review, the conclusion there is:

both cards are usually within 2 FPS of each other, and which card comes out on top, depends on the game.

Also those averages aren't wrong. They are just not what you should focus on, when comparing cards in the same price class. They are still a valid measurement though (as long as the whole thing isn't CPU bound).