Need advice using a fan splitter...

jmabe222

Noob Question:

Ok so I have a H210 case and I am using the ASUS B4450-I Strix Mini ITX motherboard. I dont have enough fan headers so I was thinking about buying a Fan Splitter to plug up with my fans. The fan splitter has one 4 pin connector and two 3 pin connector. the fans I want are 4 pin PWM. Will the PWM still work if only 3 of the pins are connected but the part I plug into my motherboard is a 4 pin connector ? sorry if this is confusing 

17 minutes ago, jmabe222 said:

Noob Question:

Ok so I have a H210 case and I am using the ASUS B4450-I Strix Mini ITX motherboard. I dont have enough fan headers so I was thinking about buying a Fan Splitter to plug up with my fans. The fan splitter has one 4 pin connector and two 3 pin connector. the fans I want are 4 pin PWM. Will the PWM still work if only 3 of the pins are connected but the part I plug into my motherboard is a 4 pin connector ? sorry if this is confusing 

Yes, the fourth pin is only to monitor the fans RPM and naturally only one fan can be monitored so only one fan gets that pin.

Its generally best run identical fans off a splitter so their speeds and airflow match, but if you don't I'd plug the slowest into the 4 pin part so you can monitor that at the lowest speed its actually spinning.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, the fourth pin is only to monitor the fans RPM and naturally only one fan can be monitored so only one fan gets that pin.

So will they all sync up if the 4 pin connector is connected to the motherboard but the other fans are only connected to a 3 pin ?

3 minutes ago, jmabe222 said:

So will they all sync up if the 4 pin connector is connected to the motherboard but the other fans are only connected to a 3 pin ?

They will all get the same PWM signal yes, but the motherboard can only "see" what speed one of the fans is actually running at.  Its mostly a cosmetic issue really and even then, I doubt most people bother to check what speed the motherboard is reporting for the fans.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 hours ago, jmabe222 said:

Yes, the pins are 12V,GND,RPM and PWM. With RPM being the missing pin. So one fan will be give rpm to motherboard. But all will receive 12V and PWM signal, making them equal. The PWM settings are set based on the fan with RPM signal, thats why you should have similar or same fans per splitter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv