$500 web browsing rig

Budget (including currency): 500 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Netflix, chrome, YouTube

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Tell me your thoughts, my parents need a fast PC to replace their 8 year old HP.Also going to pair it with a 20$ wifi card

Would it be more cost effective to buy something off the shelf.

I'll add an SSD if they fill up the nvme drive but I don't really see that happening, they don't download much media. 

Also would a 3100x and a $50 display card(think a 1030) ultimately be a better performer?

I would go with a 3200G and toss in a cheap GPU if needed. If you have an existing Ryzen 2000 series CPU you can use to update the motherboard or you plan to buy the parts in person then just make sure it's got a Ryzen 3000 ready sticker on it. Or stick with the 3400G and swap out the case.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 minutes ago, Wallabyhorse said:

Also would a 3100x and a $50 display card(think a 1030) ultimately be a better performer?

From the few benchmarks i can find, no, the 3200G would be better than the 1030. Hard to find APU/iGPU vs GPU benchmarks though, and the only one i could find quickly was gaming specific.

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

8 hours ago, rapidkillerx said:

From the few benchmarks i can find, no, the 3200G would be better than the 1030. Hard to find APU/iGPU vs GPU benchmarks though, and the only one i could find quickly was gaming specific.

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

I would go with a 3200G and toss in a cheap GPU if needed. If you have an existing Ryzen 2000 series CPU you can use to update the motherboard or you plan to buy the parts in person then just make sure it's got a Ryzen 3000 ready sticker on it. Or stick with the 3400G and swap out the case.

Thanks this is great. I told them I'd build them a $500 computer so going under budget is perfect.