Minecraft server/NAS

Budget: I have already created a parts list for the computer I am planning to build. +-$350

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I am planning to create a local Minecraft server with this build and eventually upgrade it to become a NAS.

Other details https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Blacksmith121212/saved/6swF8d 

I know this pc is not very power full right now, but i planned this out so it will have an upgrade path. I have already figured out how to create a Minecraft server and how to set up network drives. I only have two questions.

1, Is it possible to use a different public IP address to access the Minecraft server?

2, I have my personal pc on the same desk with the one I am planning to build, is it possible to have a USB type c connection to the (eventually) NAS, and have it act like a direct/external hard drive or should I just upgrade the storage in my personal rig?

14 minutes ago, Blacksmith121212 said:

1, Is it possible to use a different public IP address to access the Minecraft server?

Is there reason why you want to do this? You probalby want a dns name to make it easier to enter and if you change the ip, you can keep the connection settings the same. You cn use a vpn to something like a vps to route it to a new ip.

17 minutes ago, Blacksmith121212 said:

2, I have my personal pc on the same desk with the one I am planning to build, is it possible to have a USB type c connection to the (eventually) NAS, and have it act like a direct/external hard drive or should I just upgrade the storage in my personal rig?

You can share files over the network, but if you want to easily plug in and use it, probalby just use usb on your desktop

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith121212 said:

Other details https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Blacksmith121212/saved/6swF8d 

I know this pc is not very power full right now, but i planned this out so it will have an upgrade path. I have already figured out how to create a Minecraft server and how to set up network drives. I only have two questions.

Why the fans? You don't need the cooling.

You don't want that psu in that case, the psu will have almost no area to inake air from.

If you want a rack server, Id just get a used one like a dell r720, its much faster for the price.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there reason why you want to do this? You probalby want a dns name to make it easier to enter and if you change the ip, you can keep the connection settings the same. You cn use a vpn to something like a vps to route it to a new ip.

What is a DNS name and how do you go around setting it up, I am trying to change IP so that public connections are more secure

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can share files over the network, but if you want to easily plug in and use it, probalby just use usb on your desktop

Would there be any configuration required

1 minute ago, Blacksmith121212 said:

What is a DNS name and how do you go around setting it up, I am trying to change IP so that public connections are more secure

How would changing your ip make it more secure? Are you worried about ddos?

Id go buy a domain name, like something.com Then point that do your server. Then if you home ip changes(its probably not static)

Just now, Blacksmith121212 said:

Would there be any configuration required

Yea, you have to configure the folder you want to share and permissions.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why the fans? You don't need the cooling.

You don't want that psu in that case, the psu will have almost no area to inake air from.

If you want a rack server, Id just get a used one like a dell r720, its much faster for the price.

Upgrade path

The psu has a top vent on the case for intake

I don't need something very fast right now and am trying to be smart about the upgrade path

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How would changing your ip make it more secure? Are you worried about ddos?

Id go buy a domain name, like something.com Then point that do your server. Then if you home ip changes(its probably not static)

Giving out public IP address can give exact latitude and longitude, as well( with some effort) full access to my network

1 minute ago, Blacksmith121212 said:

Giving out public IP address can give exact latitude and longitude, as well( with some effort) full access to my network

you don't get an exacat location for a home connection normally, just an estimate.

And not really a secuirty issue if you set things up right. Put the server in the dmz and your good

If your worried still, cdns like cloudflare has ddos protecion for any app, idk the price.

Also if you're really worried, just host from a vps. I woulnd't worry about it though for a home connection and a small server.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you don't get an exacat location for a home connection normally, just an estimate.

And not really a secuirty issue if you set things up right. Put the server in the dmz and your good

If your worried still, cdns like cloudflare has ddos protecion for any app, idk the price.

Also if you're really worried, just host from a vps. I woulnd't worry about it though for a home connection and a small server.

Ok, ill look into those things, looks like I have a bit of research to do