Bone Conduction headsets

I work in a factory with a lot of noise, so we wear hearing protection, these are made for each ear (molded). In these hearing protection we put speakers (without the ear adapters) and then we have music. Some with and some without bluetooth connection listening to the radio, spotify or mp3 player.

Now we have to change that all and we have 3 options: to use a peltor worktunes or no music or bone conduction headsets.

Now the thing is I never heard of bone conduction and it sounds great! But a lot of questions rises:

• What is the best solution?
  • will it work in a noisy environment

Also some personal adjustments! I use (and love) my iPod nano 6th generation but it doesn't have bluetooth!

So I tried to do some research and looked if Linus Tech Tips did some reviews! Can't find them! Others did but they are not Linus!

I came up with 3 options for me:

1. Exobone - $97
  2. Aftershokz - AEROPEX - $160
  3. Aftershokz XTRAINERZ - $150

The first 2 are using bluetooth so if I go for that I need a bluetooth dongle for my nano 6, so that's an extra $20. The third option is a mp3 player WITHOUT bluetooth and looks like a very good option for me (I don't use radio much, to much talk not enough good music). A mp3 player within the bone conduction, but no bluetooth connection....

I see some good reviews on the exobone but you can only buy it online, the link above is with a discount!

Then when I would buy any of the above, would it work in a noisy environment? We are wearing ear protection and the bone conduction device..

Anyone has good experience with the above bone conduction headsets? And if so do you use them in a noisy environment?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replay NomadicInfluence

Me too did some digging and didn't find a lot about exobones, and like you I couldn't find anything more about them.

So I went for the Aftershokz - AEROPEX and they sell here for €170!! but I wanted the grey one and that one was for €150, so that was a little luck on the side

I'm still waiting for the dongle and listen to music with my ipod, but on my iPhone 8+ the sound of this one is pretty good. I say pretty good because the sound isn't like the normal headsets, but I am very pleased with the results of this brand. I use the headset with custom earplugs (lots of noise on workplace) and the EQ does a lot of good things with the sound....

Make sure you have the new version of the Aeropex because they made a boost in quality of sound....

I am very happy with the product I choose and until I put some new music on my phone I have to wait until June, 14th because then I get my dongle....

On 6/2/2020 at 9:23 AM, Lucky Me said:

Thank you for the replay NomadicInfluence

Me too did some digging and didn't find a lot about exobones, and like you I couldn't find anything more about them.

So I went for the Aftershokz - AEROPEX and they sell here for €170!! but I wanted the grey one and that one was for €150, so that was a little luck on the side

I'm still waiting for the dongle and listen to music with my ipod, but on my iPhone 8+ the sound of this one is pretty good. I say pretty good because the sound isn't like the normal headsets, but I am very pleased with the results of this brand. I use the headset with custom earplugs (lots of noise on workplace) and the EQ does a lot of good things with the sound....

Make sure you have the new version of the Aeropex because they made a boost in quality of sound....

I am very happy with the product I choose and until I put some new music on my phone I have to wait until June, 14th because then I get my dongle....

I see I am late to the party but I have two pair of aftershokz.  I wear them at work, however I work in an office setting.  We have thin walls so playing music on my speakers will disturb my neighbors, and with these I am able to hold a conversation while still having my music playing.  I will also wear them on a road trip with the family while they nap since it leaves my ears open to hear the environment.