My PC suddenly does not POST or Boot

NicholasP

Hello everyone!

I'm having issues with my new pc.

Issue:

My pc was working fine up until yesterday. 

I started my pc when I got home, it booted properly entered the password and got into desktop. I left it there for a few minutes without pressing anything because I was doing something else, and suddenly the pc just spontaneously shuts down, and powers back up with the fans working and full speed but no display or anything.

After a couple of minutes I switched it off from the psu because it was not responding to the case's power up or reset buttons.

I tried some troubleshooting but it always does not boot. All fans are running including the cpu fan, at full speed but nothing else does.

I don't think it's a bios to cpu compatibility issue because my mobo is ryzen 2000 and 3000 series ready, and as i said it was working perfectly for a couple of weeks up until yesterday. 

Also I do not think that is a psu problem as a friend of mine said to me, because while it was working i was playing ArmA3 on very high/ultra for maybe 5 to 8 hours almost every day and had no issues with the pc being sluggish or powering down under such load.

Troubleshooting steps I did:

• I tried clearing the CMOS both using the jumper pins and removing the battery. Both did nothing.
  • I tried removing the gpu and start the PC. Did nothing.
  • Tried reseating the ram stick and change it's slot. Both did nothing.
  • I tried unplugging everything from the mobo except fans, cpu and ram. Did nothing.

System Specifications:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte A320m-s2h v2 
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 w/ stock cooler
  • GPU: MSI RX570 8GB OC Armor
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB
  • PSU: Corsair CX 550
  • BIOS ver: F10d if I remember correctly.

A thank you to all of you in advance for taking time to reply to my issue and any help provided to my troubleshooting.

8 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

cut

It's extremely likely to be the PSU or the motherboard, but seems a PSU issue to me. (I had several fails with Corsair in the last three years)

If you have another PSU to test, plug the pc into that one (just CPU, mobo and gpu power cables) and see if it gets you to bios. If it does, there's your problem. If it doesn't, it's probably the motherboard at that point. You don't need to take everything out of the case for this test, just leave things hanging out.

2 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

It's extremely likely to be the PSU or the motherboard, but seems a PSU issue to me. (I had several fails with Corsair in the last three years)

If you have another PSU to test, plug the pc into that one (just CPU, mobo and gpu power cables) and see if it gets you to bios. If it does, there's your problem. If it doesn't, it's probably the motherboard at that point. You don't need to take everything out of the case for this test, just leave things hanging out.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

When you refer to the psu as being the cause, do you mean inadequate wattage or a psu failure? I will try it with a friend of mine that has a 750w psu on his and see.

If something happened to the mobo, would that be replaceable under warranty? Everything was bought like 2 weeks ago, it's my first build.

3 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

Thanks a lot for the reply!

When you refer to the psu as being the cause, do you mean inadequate wattage or a psu failure? I will try it with a friend of mine that has a 750w psu on his and see.

If something happened to the mobo, would that be replaceable under warranty? Everything was bought like 2 weeks ago, it's my first build.

I mean that it died. If it's not sufficient, the system would not boot in the first place or it would boot and fail but you'd be able to power it up again and looping in this process.

If everything is so new, it's unlikely.. but defective products do exist. If you bought it from Amazon, I'd get it replaced with their support first otherwise you need to contact your motherboard/PSU RMA team from their website and you'll be a asked a proof of purchase (a screenshot is enough usually) and the serial code of the product. This however in my experience takes longer so you'd be stuck without a PC for a bit more.

Actually one more thing: you can't access the BIOS at all can you? Do you have a black screen only?

7 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

I mean that it died. If it's not sufficient, the system would not boot in the first place or it would boot and fail but you'd be able to power it up again and looping in this process.

If everything is so new, it's unlikely.. but defective products do exist. If you bought it from Amazon, I'd get it replaced with their support first otherwise you need to contact your motherboard/PSU RMA team from their website and you'll be a asked a proof of purchase (a screenshot is enough usually) and the serial code of the product. This however in my experience takes longer so you'd be stuck without a PC for a bit more.

Actually one more thing: you can't access the BIOS at all can you? Do you have a black screen only?

Oh I see... I'll see if I can get new ones through warranty if that's the issue. But I have to pinpoint whether the psu or the mobo is the problem.

No I can't access bios at all. Just a black screen no display not anything.

13 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

Oh I see... I'll see if I can get new ones through warranty if that's the issue. But I have to pinpoint whether the psu or the mobo is the problem.

No I can't access bios at all. Just a black screen no display not anything.

As a sanity check.. Try different video cables and manybe a different TV/Monitor. 

My friend had this issues on his X299 chip-set setup, and it turned out to be the motherboard.

Try to check if any of the capacitors show any damage.

MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
CPU: i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2400mhz 16GB
GPU: MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Case: Thermaltake  A500 TG

7 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

As a sanity check.. Try different video cables and manybe a different TV/Monitor. 

I tried with both the vga and hdmi on both mobo and gpu. Nothing 

The thing is that it's not only that theres no display, the fans immediately run on 100% as soon as I press the power on button, which they did not do whilst it was booting properly. I also don have a mobo buzzer. It has the interface but there wasn't a buzzer included in the box

14 minutes ago, MrLinford said:

My friend had this issues on his X299 chip-set setup, and it turned out to be the motherboard.

Try to check if any of the capacitors show any damage.

How can I check if a capacitor is damaged? Leaking fluids like corroded batteries or anything else?

10 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

I tried with both the vga and hdmi on both mobo and gpu. Nothing 

The thing is that it's not only that theres no display, the fans immediately run on 100% as soon as I press the power on button, which they did not do whilst it was booting properly. I also don have a mobo buzzer. It has the interface but there wasn't a buzzer included in the box

Unless there was no thermal compound at all or extremely little on the CPU heatsink, that shouldn't happen. You might check that but after this I'm still guessing for the PSU fail.

2 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

How can I check if a capacitor is damaged? Leaking fluids like corroded batteries or anything else?

Generally look for burnt areas on the motherboard around components.

If it is a PSU issue it could have also could have damaged the MB at the same time.

MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
CPU: i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2400mhz 16GB
GPU: MSI Gaming Z RTX 2060
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Case: Thermaltake  A500 TG

2 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Unless there was no thermal compound at all or extremely little on the CPU heatsink, that shouldn't happen. You might check that but after this I'm still guessing for the PSU fail.

The thermal compound was preapplied on the heatsink it came stock that way.

1 minute ago, MrLinford said:

If it is a PSU issue it could have also could have damaged the MB at the same time.

Oh I see. Could it have damaged the cpu as well? 

1 hour ago, NicholasP said:

Oh I see. Could it have damaged the cpu as well? 

Yes but it is very unlikely. There are a lot of protections between the motherboard and the socket.

28 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Yes but it is very unlikely. There are a lot of protections between the motherboard and the socket.

I really hope so. I'll get a multimeter to test the psu tomorrow, and if the psu is alright I'll get in touch with the shop to have my mobo replaced under warranty.

Thanks a lot

2 hours ago, MrLinford said:

I didnt notice any burnt areas around components on the mobo. Could it still be damaged though?