4 TB HDDs

Thready

I feel a disturbance in the force and I'm pretty sure my HDD is going to give out because I had a SMART problem. I want a 4 TB 7200 drive to use for games and my photography. I have 2 backup drives and cloud backup so all of that is taken care of. This would be my main HDD that I would do my work on. I use an SSD as a boot drive but I do all my photography editing on my HDD.

Are the WD Reds good drives for daily use? I assume they're fine for daily use. I found one for $160 and the Black is $170. If it's all the same then I'd like to save that 10 bucks.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Well the reds are smr, so id stay away, your also paying extra for a nas drive that you won't use the extra features in. There also 5400rpm.

For the prices of those drives, id get a 8tb, faster than the smaller drives, and much more space to work with. 

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well the reds are smr, so id stay away, your also paying extra for a nas drive that you won't use the extra features in. There also 5400rpm.

For the prices of those drives, id get a 8tb, faster than the smaller drives, and much more space to work with. 

The Red that I saw was 7200 though. It was selling for $160

1 hour ago, Thready said:

The Red that I saw was 7200 though. It was selling for $160

Was it a red pro?

Id still get a 8tb drive for that price, it should be faster aswell

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Was it a red pro?

Id still get a 8tb drive for that price, it should be faster aswell

Oh yeah Red Pro. I didn't know pro was actually a different product.

I honestly know nothing about spinner storage other than you want 7200 rpm and 256 mb cache if you're doing a lot of daily work on it.  

Just now, Thready said:

Oh yeah Red Pro. I didn't know pro was actually a different product.

I honestly know nothing about spinner storage other than you want 7200 rpm and 256 mb cache if you're doing a lot of daily work on it.  

bigger drives are also faster, and cache often doesn't really matter, so you can't just look at those specs.

For photography, id get a ssd for current projects, makes opening files much quicker.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

bigger drives are also faster, and cache often doesn't really matter, so you can't just look at those specs.

For photography, id get a ssd for current projects, makes opening files much quicker.

Yeah I learned that recently actually because I have 20,000 photos in my current LR catalog and it's getting out of hand.

I was actually thinking of scrapping all my internal drives and just getting a Synology DS with 2 drives in RAID 1 but I don't know if that would actually give me any advantage than just having the drives in my PC.

1 minute ago, Thready said:

Yeah I learned that recently actually because I have 20,000 photos in my current LR catalog and it's getting out of hand.

I was actually thinking of scrapping all my internal drives and just getting a Synology DS with 2 drives in RAID 1 but I don't know if that would actually give me any advantage than just having the drives in my PC.

a synology nas would be a good backup, but would be slower as there is more overhead.

For my lightroom, I put the catalog on a ssd and the current photos, then store the not commonly used ones on a hdd

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

a synology nas would be a good backup, but would be slower as there is more overhead.

For my lightroom, I put the catalog on a ssd and the current photos, then store the not commonly used ones on a hdd

Yeah that's exactly what I do too. I have an old 256 GB Sata SSD from 2012 that I don't want to get rid of so I just use it for that. It's pretty great.

I was thinking of just using the Synology as a backup. I have an old DS from 2013 that I use as a cloud station. 

Just now, Thready said:

Yeah that's exactly what I do too. I have an old 256 GB Sata SSD from 2012 that I don't want to get rid of so I just use it for that. It's pretty great.

I was thinking of just using the Synology as a backup. I have an old DS from 2013 that I use as a cloud station. 

yea those synology  boxes are good for a backup.

Id probably just get a 8tb barracuda or simmilar for your desktop. There pretty faster, smr shouldn't matter here, and keep the stuff that needs speed on the ssd. If you want the extra 15% more performance for a 7200rpm drive, Id probably go exos if its the same price as the other drives, as the enterprise ones are normally a bit better.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea those synology  boxes are good for a backup.

Id probably just get a 8tb barracuda or simmilar for your desktop. There pretty faster, smr shouldn't matter here, and keep the stuff that needs speed on the ssd. If you want the extra 15% more performance for a 7200rpm drive, Id probably go exos if its the same price as the other drives, as the enterprise ones are normally a bit better.

Ok. Awesome. Thanks for replying. Do you think it would be worth it to partition 64 GB off of that 256 GB SSD and use it for that new AMD Store MI with the new HDD? 

5 minutes ago, Thready said:

Ok. Awesome. Thanks for replying. Do you think it would be worth it to partition 64 GB off of that 256 GB SSD and use it for that new AMD Store MI with the new HDD? 

Seeing that storemi is being canceled, id stay no. If you want caching, id use something like storage spaces thats built into windows, but I don't think caching would ne needed.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Seeing that storemi is being canceled, id stay no. If you want caching, id use something like storage spaces thats built into windows, but I don't think caching would ne needed.

Ok