Gaming Laptop or PS4 with normal laptop & capture card for my hostel gaming?

Hey guys

So after this pandemic, I'm gonna go to a college where it is too far from our home. So I'm gonna stay in a hostel. I can't just take my gaming Setup there as it will be a hard time to do that. So should i buy a gaming laptop or just use my ps4 pro connected to my laptop through elgato capture card. I'm planning to buy a laptop for my college works but i can't take a chunky gaming laptops but i needed one. I have a ps4 pro at home & a capture card. I could take them to the hostel & use my existing or a new laptop as a monitor to play with. As you know, i can't take my monitor to play games there. But is this the good idea?. I have a Lenovo laptop with Core i5 7th gen, 8gb ram, geforce 920m etc. Which is a pretty decent laptop for me as i have a gaming PC. But i wanted to buy a laptop for gaming but i too need portability. Whereas in ps4, i can leave it on my hostel room & take a compact laptop to the class. If u have a compact laptop that can game, please recommend me. I would mainly prefer Lenovo(as my uncle work for Lenovo & he'll give me one for free for education purposes) & apple(my brother work for them. So he could buy it for an affordable price). I like rest of the companies but they don't have their service centers in our locality(Acer, Gigabyte, etc. Idk about asus, hp & dell). We do have Lenovo & apple service centers. If i buy a macbook, i could use it as a monitor for my ps4 as i don't have to carry a monitor for that. If i buy any other gaming laptops which are compact, they can be used for both productivity, education & gaming. Or should i stick stick with my existing laptop with that ps4 & elgato setup. 

What are your opinions on using a laptop as a display for ps4 through an elgato capture card.

Thank you so much

The PS4 will be obsolete in a few weeks. Horrible idea to buy that.

MacBooks are not capable of gaming and their durability is pretty poor in recent years. I'd strongly advise against one as you'll have more issues than you'd prefer.

Lenovo - the only option from them can't really give you good battery life (the Legion models).

In reality, your best bet is the Asus Zephyrus G14 - it's got the most advanced laptop CPUs - Ryzen 4000 Renoir series. The 4800HS/4900HS perform close to a desktop i9 9900/R7 3700X and you also get over 8 hours of battery life with active use, a 2060, 144Hz IPS display and a pretty decent cooling system.

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The PS4 will be obsolete in a few weeks. Horrible idea to buy that.

MacBooks are not capable of gaming and their durability is pretty poor in recent years. I'd strongly advise against one as you'll have more issues than you'd prefer.

Lenovo - the only option from them can't really give you good battery life (the Legion models).

In reality, your best bet is the Asus Zephyrus G14 - it's got the most advanced laptop CPUs - Ryzen 4000 Renoir series. The 4800HS/4900HS perform close to a desktop i9 9900/R7 3700X and you also get over 8 hours of battery life with active use, a 2060, 144Hz IPS display and a pretty decent cooling system.

I agree that PS4 will be obsolete. I have used Lenovo for the past 11 years(Now I'm 18). I didn't suffer any battery issues with them. But the battery will die eventually after few years. I have all of my laptops i owned before. Lenovo has a great speakers, don't overheat & is not loud. But i would consider Asus for gaming as my pc rocks asus components. But my pc doesn't have a warranty as the parts are imported & doesn't cover warranty. But laptops do have warranty if i purchase it from local major stores rather than an online store. So definitely gonna consider that. 

4 minutes ago, imaproboi said:

I agree that PS4 will be obsolete. I have used Lenovo for the past 11 years(Now I'm 18). I didn't suffer any battery issues with them. But the battery will die eventually after few years. I have all of my laptops i owned before. Lenovo has a great speakers, don't overheat & is not loud. But i would consider Asus for gaming as my pc rocks asus components. But my pc doesn't have a warranty as the parts are imported & doesn't cover warranty. But laptops do have warranty if i purchase it from local major stores rather than an online store. So definitely gonna consider that. 

Never buy based on brand. Lenovo had horrible products as well as great products. Remember the Y50? Had a massive design flaw that made virtually every one break and Lenovo refused to admit fault with regard to the hinge design and refused to issue a recall. Or the broken TB controllers that would destroy the ports over time. Always carefully look at the model before buying. Brand loyalty is a bad mentality as you will end up sorely disappointed one day.

My comment on the battery was different. The Lenovo Legion Y540 model that you can afford has only 2-3 hours of battery life on a full charge. The Zephyrus G14 gets close to 10 hours. I imagine you want decent work battery life for school and work.

The JBL speakers on older Lenovo laptops are also gone. Most modern ones come with B&O speakers that are decidedly worse. Same for acoustics, modern models run the fans at higher speeds so as to move more air through the thin chassis. The Asus model I mentioned also does this but to a lesser degree as it has three times more heat pipes than the Y540.

All products have warranties, that isn't an issue

On 5/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, 5x5 said:

Never buy based on brand. Lenovo had horrible products as well as great products. Remember the Y50? Had a massive design flaw that made virtually every one break and Lenovo refused to admit fault with regard to the hinge design and refused to issue a recall. Or the broken TB controllers that would destroy the ports over time. Always carefully look at the model before buying. Brand loyalty is a bad mentality as you will end up sorely disappointed one day.

My comment on the battery was different. The Lenovo Legion Y540 model that you can afford has only 2-3 hours of battery life on a full charge. The Zephyrus G14 gets close to 10 hours. I imagine you want decent work battery life for school and work.

The JBL speakers on older Lenovo laptops are also gone. Most modern ones come with B&O speakers that are decidedly worse. Same for acoustics, modern models run the fans at higher speeds so as to move more air through the thin chassis. The Asus model I mentioned also does this but to a lesser degree as it has three times more heat pipes than the Y540.

All products have warranties, that isn't an issue

I agree. But some product warranties is not applicable to our country as it is imported. Especially PC parts. But laptops do have warranty if it's easily available here. Thanks buddy