Linux on nextgen console

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

NVM. Just found out about Intel Nuc. Fuck consoles

Would it be possible to install Linux on a Ps5 or whatever the name for the new Corsair one by Microsoft is? Is it even possible on current consoles running the newest software? Only with a certain distro or with anything? I like the compact design of consoles but hate the closed in system.

11 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Would it be possible to install Linux on a Ps5 or whatever the name for the new Corsair one by Microsoft is?

Unless they make a terrible security mistake or leak something important to enable so, no.

Is it even possible on current consoles running the newest software? Only with a certain distro or with anything? I like the compact design of consoles but hate the closed in system.

You can get linux on the PS4, but it's not easy and doesn't work perfectly.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

16 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Would it be possible to install Linux on a Ps5

Maybe? How can we know if the console hasn't been release yet? It's not going to be possible officially if that's what you mean.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

Maybe? How can we know if the console hasn't been release yet? It's not going to be possible officially if that's what you mean.

Just wanted to hear about the chances. Like maybe it's worth to pick up a ps5 day one and never update the firmware and wait for an exploit. Also wanted to hear about how it works on current gen, like can it run games without problems etc

1 hour ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Like maybe it's worth to pick up a ps5 day one and never update the firmware and wait for an exploit.

But why? Running Linux on a console only makes sense as a curiosity, it has no practical advantages over just buying a PC (if it does run it's probably not going to do so very well anyway).

Also wanted to hear about how it works on current gen, like can it run games without problems etc

No, it barely even works.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But why? Running Linux on a console only makes sense as a curiosity, it has no practical advantages over just buying a PC (if it does run it's probably not going to do so very well anyway).

No, it barely even works.

I remember back with OtherOS on the PS3 was a big deal, and it truthfully was to a handful of people. The issue was I believe Sony only did it to avoid some tax or fit some type of classification of computer for the PS3. I don't honestly know of anyone that used Linux PS3 other than like you said a curiosity. I'll probably go down a YouTube rabbit hole later tonight researching this topic to see what people actually used it for outside of installing Libre Office on.

2 hours ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Just wanted to hear about the chances. Like maybe it's worth to pick up a ps5 day one and never update the firmware and wait for an exploit. Also wanted to hear about how it works on current gen, like can it run games without problems etc

Well, "games without problems" would certainly be dependent on your definition. Tux Kart or a port of Doom (the original), maybe. Current games definitely not. Console hardware is highly specialize and don't have open source drivers for people to develop improvements on. I've been hacking a lot of my consoles lately, and while certain consoles like my Vita can do some amazing stuff, Linux really isn't one of them. The biggest use I've found is hacking a console to make game backup ROM files to emulate on a beefier system. RPCS3 has come a long way and Asura's Wrath is now playable in 4K, but ripping the game would probably be the only thing I'd do with a hacked PS3, and even then that generation is HD so I don't have any issues connecting to my TV compared to a GameCube or SNES. It'll probably just be worth it to pick up a new console one day just to play games on. I bought my PS4 for $150 off a coworker and my Xbox One S for $170 with a gift card, and for that price I'm fine with them only playing games.

42 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But why? Running Linux on a console only makes sense as a curiosity, it has no practical advantages over just buying a PC

You can hardly build a pc as small as a console with the same power. For that you would need a comparable apu and amd wont release one, since that would make consoles (even more) obsolete.

NVM. Just found out about Intel Nuc. Fuck consoles

53 minutes ago, Jaxseven said:

I remember back with OtherOS on the PS3 was a big deal, and it truthfully was to a handful of people. The issue was I believe Sony only did it to avoid some tax or fit some type of classification of computer for the PS3. I don't honestly know of anyone that used Linux PS3 other than like you said a curiosity. I'll probably go down a YouTube rabbit hole later tonight researching this topic to see what people actually used it for outside of installing Libre Office on.

On the ps3 specifically it made some sense because its processor was really powerful in certain tasks that PCs were bad at at the time.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can hardly build a pc as small as a console with the same power. For that you would need a comparable apu and amd wont release one, since that would make consoles (even more) obsolete.

Not exactly. I built a PC console inside a Silverstone RVZ03 that's only a bit bigger than an old 360. It still fits in my entertainment center and has a full sized GTX 1070ti and a 6700K. The only specific hardware I needed to make it fit was a SFX PSU but that's not hard to come by. Unless you really wanted a micro console PC, my build is as small as a console and has good enough specs.

signal-2020-05-16-184340.jpg