The windows modern UI volume slider has gone silent.

Hi folks, I'm new here and registered to see if you will please help me solve an annoying problem. When I change the volume in the systray volume slider it won't make the "ding" sound anymore, so I have no idea how loud it will be. I have attached a screenshot. In the "Volume mixer" the ding sound is present when changing the volume, just not in the modern UI. It is literally the only single sound on my PC that doesn't work.

I'm on Windows 10 19608. Oh and obviously I have scoured google and forums and reddit for hours. It's a rare problem but I'm definitely not the only one who's come across it. Haven't found any source/thread with a solution though.

What I have troubleshooted so far
  • Rightclick speaker icon -> sounds -> sounds [tab] -> change from windows default to no sounds back to windows default and save in between.
  • Make sure Windows Background.wav is assigned to asterisk.
  • Checked all my mute settings, but this couldn't be it anyway since I still hear all other sounds including system.
  • Uninstalled all Audio devices and reinstalled drivers with no internet connected.
  • Run the Windows 10 audio troubleshooter.
  • Check the registry in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps -> All sounds configured properly.
  • sfc /scannow
  • Made a new local user account as a test -> BOOM IT WORKS.
[ROOT PROBLEM]
The windows 10 modern UI volume slider that pops out from the systray does not play the "Asterisk" audio event when moving the slider around. The same event triggers fine in other locations where it should, like the volume mixer. This problem only exists on 1 user account, on other accounts its fine.
[ROOT PROBLEM]

Simply creating a new user and migrating the current user there is not an option, I tried, the problem migrates along with it quite happily. I don't want to reinstall Windows. Besides if I'd have to make a new account and I can't migrate half of it just doing a reinstall/configure/backup restore will be faster. Probably already faster than this post. But where's the fun in that.

novolumedings.png

Edited by exsin
markup / explaining search