KVM Recommendations

PaulyC

Can anyone recommend a good KVM for my home setup. Right now I have two 1080p monitors hooked up to my main rig, with one of them hooked into docking station that I use for work as well my primary keyboard and mice. I've looked around Amazon but it's hard to trust the reviews and honestly nothing looks very appealing. Hopefully someone here has some real world experience with KVM that will be able to help me out. Thanks!

I use a software KVM called Synergy myself. If you have to connect to a VPN though and go this route, make sure you get Synergy 1 so you can manually configure how it connects since Synergy 2 gives you no control and does it automatically itself. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What's your budget and connectivity? The good ones get up there real quick.

I have a Black Box quad port dual Displyport that was about $500.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:58 PM, Den-Fi said:

What's your budget and connectivity? The good ones get up there real quick.

I have a Black Box quad port dual Displyport that was about $500.

I've seem the Black Box ones and I've used at previous jobs but they don't seem super reliable for the price. How long have you been using it if I can ask? I saw this one and it seems to have decent reviews and a good price IOGear USB-C KVM

On 5/11/2020 at 6:57 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

I use a software KVM called Synergy myself. If you have to connect to a VPN though and go this route, make sure you get Synergy 1 so you can manually configure how it connects since Synergy 2 gives you no control and does it automatically itself. 

I've heard of Synergy but unfortunately my company locks down our laptops pretty tight so I can't install any unapproved software, and attempting to go through the approval process wouldn't be worth it.

I've seen that Level1 Techs sells KVMs as well and they look similar to the Black Box offerings. I wonder if anyone has used it.