Threadripper & Gaming

Hegi

Budget: 6.000 - 6.500 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Docker (MiniKube), VMs, DevTools, & ofc Games (Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc.)

Other details: I am looking for a build which can support running a bunch of VMs, or a big set of containerized services/applications. And when I am not working I'd love to fire up some games as well. The other part of the ask is a bit more challenging: I'm inexperienced in building my own config - sure, I can swap the memory, or the VGA if required, but it's a bit different than building the whole thing up from scratch. Also the end result will be kinda costly, and I'd rather not brake any of the parts while building the system.

What I think I need:

• CPU: I'd preffer an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X but I'm willing to settle for a 3960X if needed
  • Memory: 64GB, DDR4 (4x16GB or 2x32GB. Depends on how much RAM fits into the Motherboard)
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super - I guess. This is where uncertainty starts to sneaks into the picture. If I can hit most titles with ~120-140 FPS on 1080p, and everything above 60 I'll be happy
  • Motherboard: Something which will support an upgrade to 128GB of Memory if needed.
  • PSU: Something modular :)
  • Storage: 2xM.2 SSD 1TB + ~4TB HDD (1TB for the OS & Apps, 1TB for the frequently used apps, and HDD for infrequently used stuff)
  • Cooling: Something that works. I guess air is cheaper, so that shall be fine
  • Case: Something with a glass panel on the side. Dark in color.
  • Aesthetics: I am not super-into LED and the like, but I'm willing to spend a couple of hundred on something decorative. The build shall serve me for quite some time I hope. :)

Where I'm asking for your help:
If somebody could recommend the exact SKUs that I shall need to make this happen that would be great. (Feel free to let me know if I've missed something from the list, or if you have a better alternative in mind.) Also, if anybody knows of a service - or a shop - where I can buy everything & they'll build it for me so I'll only need to pick up the built rig, that would be amazing - I'm located in the GTA, Ontario, so I'm looking for something either local, or Canada specific. Thanks in advance!

id say go for 3960x, less cores means higher clocks and less heat, and this new ryzen are pretty much fine for gaming cuz of their big Cache

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Seems like a good general list; when you are looking for specific SKUs go ahead and read reviews of the specific product. I haven't built a TR workstation before, and it's about 11:40 PM my time, so unfortunately I don't currently have time to go through and recommend any specific products. You may want a 2080S.

2080s is alot more expensive then 2070s, while being only 10-15% stronger at most

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

As you wish, you could also hold out until RTX 4000 series comes out and wait for prices to drop.

yo bro, im not the OP