AVR or UPS

McNormie13

HI Guys!

Which is better for computer protection? does an AVR protect from surges even though it has a replaceable fuse? Can a UPS also act as a better voltage output to your computer? 

Thanks

The uneducated on the subject me would say probably a good PSU wouldn't need an AVR. Also to add, the additional price for an AVR is probably better serve to buy a better quality PSU. 

8 minutes ago, vformula00 said:

The uneducated on the subject me would say probably a good PSU wouldn't need an AVR. Also to add, the additional price for an AVR is probably better serve to buy a better quality PSU. 

For an uneducated response, it was pretty spot on!

A good quality PSU can work from 260V all the way down to 90V.  A crap one can't.  And that's all an AVR does.  It bucks and boots when the voltage goes up or down.

Now, a UPS actually has batteries in it that maintain power to your PSU even when there is no power.

So comparing the two is really comparing two completely different functions.  Of course, some better UPS, called "line interactive", have AVR built in.

Thanks for the reply

I have an extra computer with a no named brand PSU, and plan to use it as a NAS. we usually have 2-3x per month occurrence of electric fluctuation. 

WIll a quality PSU somewhat protect my computer? or a surge protector better?

2 hours ago, McNormie13 said:

Thanks for the reply

I have an extra computer with a no named brand PSU, and plan to use it as a NAS. we usually have 2-3x per month occurrence of electric fluctuation. 

WIll a quality PSU somewhat protect my computer? or a surge protector better?

Well... no PSU is "no name".  😉  They all have names.  :D

But I would not want a cheap PSU in my NAS.  That's for sure.

As stated by BOTH OF US:  Yes.  A quality PSU would tolerate voltage fluctuations.

That said:  A good PSU will not hold up against voltage spikes/surges (like from lightning).  Or rather, they'll commit seppuku to prevent damage to your PC, but will likely not work again.  If you have a lot of lighting, you need a surge suppressor.

Also, if the power goes out completely, a quality PSU will stay on for only a few milliseconds.  If your power goes out a lot, you need a UPS.

But you do NOT need an AVR if you have a good PSU.