Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU Swap

I am upgrading my GPU from an EVGA 1660 Super to an EVGA 2070 Super. Do I need to uninstall my NVIDEA drivers in safe mode via DDU? I heard that I may not need to since I'm swapping an NVIDIA for NVIDIA. I just built my first PC 2 months ago and this is my first upgrade. I'm really new to PC building, so please keep that in mind when answering. Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, SexySuperVillain said:

I am upgrading my GPU from an EVGA 1660 Super to an EVGA 2070 Super. Do I need to uninstall my NVIDEA drivers in safe mode via DDU? I heard that I may not need to since I'm swapping an NVIDIA for NVIDIA. I just built my first PC 2 months ago and this is my first upgrade. I'm really new to PC building, so please keep that in mind when answering. Thank you very much!

I dont think so .U can just insert new without ddu 

4 minutes ago, SexySuperVillain said:

It may not be technically necessary but it is a really good idea to use DDU.

Just now, Ramrod126 said:

It may not be technically necessary but it is a really good idea to use DDU.

Okay. I've never used DDU (I've never even been in Safe Mode), so forgive me if these are dumb questions. I know its smart to have the new driver ready for download. And I know I'm supposed to uninstall in safe mode via DDU. The part I'm confused on, I think, is what option to choose between "Clean an Shutdown" and "Clean and do not restart." I watched a video but the guy wasn't putting in a new card. I'm assuming I select "clean and shut down", let it shut down, then remove and install the cards. Is that right? Also, do I need to let the computer stay off for a while to cool down before swapping? Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, SexySuperVillain said:

Okay. I've never used DDU (I've never even been in Safe Mode), so forgive me if these are dumb questions. I know its smart to have the new driver ready for download. And I know I'm supposed to uninstall in safe mode via DDU. The part I'm confused on, I think, is what option to choose between "Clean an Shutdown" and "Clean and do not restart." I watched a video but the guy wasn't putting in a new card. I'm assuming I select "clean and shut down", let it shut down, then remove and install the cards. Is that right? Also, do I need to let the computer stay off for a while to cool down before swapping? Thanks. 

Clean and shut down is the option you want....and no, the computer doesn't need to cool down first.

Also, yes, I would have the new drivers downloaded prior to swapping cards. Less down time that way.

Just now, Ramrod126 said:

Clean and shut down is the option you want....and no, the computer doesn't need to cool down first.

Great. Last question. I read that it's a good idea to disconnect the internet after uninstalling, when you restart the PC. Is this true? 

It keeps windows from installing drivers automatically so yeah, I usually do it.

4 minutes ago, Ramrod126 said:

It keeps windows from installing drivers automatically so yeah, I usually do it.

Sorry, one last question. When exactly should I disconnect from the internet? 

Just now, SexySuperVillain said:

Sorry, one last question. When exactly should I disconnect from the internet? 

Easiest is when the computer is already shut down after running DDU.