Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A tough question.

Hey all,

I have what I consider to be a bit of a tough question...

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but considering the expertise some of you possess it probably wont be that tough to answer.

You see currently I am having some issues with my display more specifically the back  light of my display. Now normally I would just google or follow the recommended steps but I cant seem to find a solution.

The exact problem being that occasionally on windows my back light seems to randomly turn off without warning. Now normally one would assume that its probably a faulty converter or something along those lines but theirs something a little odd about the exact failure.It wont respond to anything (wake up shortcut) and another thing is that I am currently dual booting Ubuntu yet it has never happened on Ubuntu. 

I find this very odd considering its the same back light. So my mind goes to a software issue with windows, does anyone have a clue? Cause I sure dont. 

Thanks a bunch :)

If you need anything (Photos, information, etc) dont be afraid to ask I`ll happily provide anything.

1 hour ago, CodeCannibal said:

Hey all,

I have what I consider to be a bit of a tough question...

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but considering the expertise some of you possess it probably wont be that tough to answer.

You see currently I am having some issues with my display more specifically the back  light of my display. Now normally I would just google or follow the recommended steps but I cant seem to find a solution.

The exact problem being that occasionally on windows my back light seems to randomly turn off without warning. Now normally one would assume that its probably a faulty converter or something along those lines but theirs something a little odd about the exact failure.It wont respond to anything (wake up shortcut) and another thing is that I am currently dual booting Ubuntu yet it has never happened on Ubuntu. 

I find this very odd considering its the same back light. So my mind goes to a software issue with windows, does anyone have a clue? Cause I sure dont. 

Thanks a bunch :)

If you need anything (Photos, information, etc) dont be afraid to ask I`ll happily provide anything.

How do you know it's the back light turning off and not something in SW dimming the display?

Do you have a different monitor you can test (or another computer you can hook the monitor in question up to)?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 5 5600x GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-U12S

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

How do you know it's the back light turning off and not something in SW dimming the display?

Do you have a different monitor you can test (or another computer you can hook the monitor in question up to)?

I know its the back light because I cant see anything, when shining a bright light on it. Its just a little white glow and a black screen.

I should probably mention I am on a laptop.

Yes I have tried it on a different monitor I have not been able to recreate it with it attached sometimes it happens every 10 minutes or doesn't happen at all during a day.

18 minutes ago, CodeCannibal said:

I know its the back light because I cant see anything, when shining a bright light on it. Its just a little white glow and a black screen.

I should probably mention I am on a laptop.

Yes I have tried it on a different monitor I have not been able to recreate it with it attached sometimes it happens every 10 minutes or doesn't happen at all during a day.

It sounds like a hardware problem with the screen, although I can't explain why it doesn't seem to happen while booted into Linux.

To clarify, when you say it's just a little white glow and a black screen, what are you referring to? Even with the backlight off the LCD is still displaying an image. With a bright enough light you MIGHT be able to see it faintly since some of the light from a flashlight will bounce off the screen internals and make it visible. If the screen is truly all black then how do you know it's not just off?

CPU Ryzen 5 5600x GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-U12S

16 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

It sounds like a hardware problem with the screen, although I can't explain why it doesn't seem to happen while booted into Linux.

To clarify, when you say it's just a little white glow and a black screen, what are you referring to? Even with the backlight off the LCD is still displaying an image. With a bright enough light you MIGHT be able to see it faintly since some of the light from a flashlight will bounce off the screen internals and make it visible. If the screen is truly all black then how do you know it's not just off?

I`ll look into sending it into a shop for a check of the screen and possible replacement of the damage (If there is damage).

When im reffering to the black white dim I mean completely black but you can still tell that its being lit up.

But thanks for the help.

6 minutes ago, CodeCannibal said:

When im reffering to the black white dim I mean completely black but you can still tell that its being lit up.

So the backlight is on but no image is displayed. That's a different issue and supports a software issue rather than hardware.

Try a fresh graphics driver install.