Alright so I messed up and upgraded my graphics card the other day, and when I did I wanted a little bigger power supply than what i had. I originally had a 520w bronze (cant remember exact brand) and a EVGA GTX 1050ti OC. These was replaced by a 650w Gold EVGA (fully modular) and a 5600 XT. After i got the card i realized that for full potential i needed a 4.0 pcie slot so i had to up grade my board now, so I went from a b450 steel legend to MSI x570 Gaming Edge. After I got the board I realized it needs a extra 4pin that my power supply doesn't have. So my question is can i order a second 4+4 connector and plug it into the VGA 8 pin on the power supply and just use one of the two 4pins. If thats not a usable option could I use a adapter, and if so which style adapter, how reliable are they, and are there any good brands or places to get them?

Only need to utilize the 8 pin cpu power connector unless you plan on extreme overclocking.

Okay I do plan on playing around with over clocking but nothing super extreme, it has the built in features like the fan, wifi, and other things I didn't know if that's why they added the extra 4 pin or if it was for like if you were using the 128gb ram capacity or something like that. If the matters I'm using corsair vengence 3600mhz 4x8gb (32gb)

Cpu power is for cpu only. Everything else on the board is run off the 24pin power plug.

You'll be fine without the extra 4 pin.

Thank you so much I was worried i just wasted three hundred dollars because do to lack of research. 

21 minutes ago, MalikaiTheAmish said:

These was replaced by a 650w Gold EVGA (fully modular) and a 5600 XT. After i got the card i realized that for full potential i needed a 4.0 pcie slot so i had to up grade my board now,

The 5600 XT doesn’t saturate PCIe 3.0, so I am not sure why you thought you needed to upgrade to PCIe 4.0. Currently the only thing that actually benefits from PCIe 4.0 are SSDs. Like the others have said the extra 4 pin is for extreme over clocking, like if you are going to use chilled water or LN2. You also can’t use the vga cables for cpu power, you will fry something. There is a reason they are labeled separately. Just use the 8 pin for cpu power and you will be fine.

18 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Only need to utilize the 8 pin cpu power connector unless you plan on extreme overclocking.

Yep. And by extreme overclocking, we mean exotic sub-ambient cooling stuff. You don’t need that extra 4 pin for run of the mill overclocking on air or liquid cooling. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

With the 4.0 support on the card you get slightly better performance increase, due to if your vram runs out its can assess system memory at a faster rate. Not 100 percent about that because the internet is basically what taught me about computers and building and we all know how that is any way that was my reason for it. Plus it made sense because even in a review video someone mentioned it and according to these review videos my numbers should be a little high as well. 

5 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

even 4pin is enough for moderate OC

Well that really depends on the current pull (amps) than anything. 

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

not true, i had an issue where i have an asus rog strix x570-e and i had to buy a psu for the 8+4 pin cpu power (just arrived in mail today) to post

29 minutes ago, lightslayer81 said:

not true, i had an issue where i have an asus rog strix x570-e and i had to buy a psu for the 8+4 pin cpu power (just arrived in mail today) to post

I saw that thread and found it super interesting. 

So far a single case of "needing" both to post the board.

But I've seen stranger things, so who knows.